36

• AMALIA •

Archer drives us to Xander's restaurant. We don't talk the entire drive, but it's a comfortable silence. It would be awkward with anybody else, but not him.

     We're walking in when Archer says: "what if your brother is here?"

     "I'll say I have a free period and I've come to support his business." I say.

     He nods and follows me inside. Louise—Xander's most recent girlfriend and employee—smiles at us when we walk in. "Hey, Amalia!"

     "Hi." I say. "Can we get a table for two?"

     "You sure can!" She exclaims. She begins walking, grabbing two menus from the stand, and we follow her toward the back. "Xander told us not to make you and your friends pay, so you don't have to worry about that." She says.

     I smile, "thanks, Bianca."

     She frowns. "Shouldn't you both be in school?"

     "Free period." I say, the lie leaving my lips easily as I shrug my bag off and set it on the floor.

"Oh!" She exclaims, the smile reappearing on her face. "Well, what drinks can I get you guys started off with?"

"Can I have a strawberry milkshake please?" I ask.

"Yep, and you?" She turns to Archer. "Oh my God! You're the guy who lives with them!"

     Archers eyebrows raise a little as he nods. "Yep."

     "Aw, are you two on a date?" She asks.

     "We're just getting food." I reply.

     "Could I have a water, please?" Archer questions.

     Louise sends me a knowing look before nodding. "I'll get those right out!"

     She walks away, and I flip through the lunch menu. "What're you gonna get?" I ask Archer.

"I don't know." He replies. "Maybe a sandwich?"

"I like the sandwiches. I'll get one too."

Louise comes back with our drinks and we give her our food orders. She smiles as she reappears a couple minutes later, setting our sandwiches in front of us. "Need anything else?"

     "No, thanks." I say as I lean over to take a sip of my milkshake.

     "Okay, just let me know!"

     I'm about to continue talking to Archer about what's better: chocolate covered strawberries or cupcakes and why, when my phone starts to ring.

     Xander's name flashes across the screen. I answer it and put the phone to my ear.

"You haven't got a free period, are you forgetting we have a copy of your school schedule at home?" He says.

"It changed." I lie.

He sighs. "No, it didn't. Why aren't you at school, and why did I get a call saying you threatened to hit a teacher?"

     I wince. "I didn't say that.." It's obvious I'm lying now, but it's like I can't stop.

    "Don't lie again, Amalia, Jesus! We already have enough fucking problems without you trying to make everything harder because you're in a little mood. Go to school!"

     My eyes water. He ends the call, and I look down at my lap. I did what I tried so very hard not to do. I became a burden again.

"L-lets go back." I whisper.