60

• MASON •

When I wake up, Jenna isn't beside me anymore. I pull myself out of the bed, ears piquing when I hear soft cries.

Amalia's bedroom door is open. I peek inside, furrowing my eyebrows when I see Jenna's arms wrapped around my little sister as she tries to soothe her sobs.

     I walk over to them, and Jenna looks up at me and smiles sadly. I sit on the other side of Amalia.

     "What's wrong?" I ask softly. She looks up at me and shakes her head, sniffling as he leans her head on Jenna's shoulder. My heart warms.

     "It'll be okay, Amalia." Jenna whispers.

I watch her speak, my eyes softening.

     Amalia sobs again.

We manage to guide Amalia into bed, and as soon as we get into our room I turn to Jenna and kiss her. Her eyebrows raise in surprise before she begins to kiss me back.

"I love you." I whisper.

     She smiles. "I love you too."

• AMALIA •

"Amalia!"

     I peel my eyes open. My eyes are bleary as I climb out of bed, walk out of my room and go downstairs at the sound of Elijah's voice.

     He's holding a big red box. I furrow my eyebrows.

     "This came for you."

     I take it from him.

     He frowns. "You still don't wanna talk to me?"

     I side eye him as I turn around.

     "Angel." He says, "you know I had to tell dad."

     I walk up the stairs.

     When I get back into my room, I set the box on my bed and tilt my head. I pull the top out, my eyes widening.

     Sitting in the box, next to a bouquet of daphnes, is a folded red dress. A gasp escapes my lips when I hold it up in front of me.

 A gasp escapes my lips when I hold it up in front of me

     Paired with it is a pair of clear heels. I look at it for a moment, completely dumbfounded, until I spot the note beneath it all.

     I pick it up and slowly unfold it.

2 O'CLOCK
ALISHA'S BEAUTY SALON
—ARCHER

I smile, a blush rushing up my cheeks. I gently set the dress down, sniff the flowers, and keep holding them as I grab my phone from the bedside table.