53

• AMALIA •

I don't talk much, but halfway through the dinner Silas turns to me. "I can help you, you know."

I side eye her, bringing food up to my lips and chewing it as I shrug in response. Everyone else is immersed in conversation, but I can't bring myself to speak.

I look down at my phone, perking up when I see that there's a message from Archer.

ARCHER: Ally and I are gonna stay with my mum tonight.

I deflate.

ME: Is everything okay?

ARCHER: It's fine.

ME: Is Ally okay?

He takes a few seconds to reply, piquing my nerves.

ARCHER: She's okay, just tired. Are you okay?

ME: Yeah.

ME:

     ARCHER: I love you

ARCHER: I love you.

My heart flutters. I feel a blush spread to my cheeks.

ME: I love you too.

ARCHER: Do you wanna go somewhere with me tomorrow?

ME: Where?

ARCHER: Anywhere you want.

ME: Okay.

That night, when I'm planning out an outfit to wear tomorrow to wherever I go with Archer, Grayson and Cole walk into my room.

The former smiles gently, but I see the wariness in his expression. "Hey, Ammy." He says. "What're you doing?"

"Trying to find an outfit." I mumble quietly, throwing things I realise I don't want to one side. I hoist one behind me, and I only realise it hits Cole when he sets it on the growing pile.

"What for?" Cole questions.

"Tomorrow."

"What's tomorrow?" Grayson asks.

"I'm going somewhere with Archer." I answer.

"Where?"

I shrug. "We don't know yet."

"Did dad say you could go?" Cole questions.

"I'm going anyway." I mutter.

He frowns. So does Grayson, and I notice that they look similar in this moment. They've never been identical, but right now they have the same disapproving look in their matching eyes.