19

• LORENZO •

A blonde woman walks out of the studio Amalia's been taking pictures in. She furrows her eyebrows. "Where is she?" She asks.

"She went outside to get some fresh air." I explain. "I'll go get her."

"Okay, thanks. We're done, I just need her for a few things."

"Alright." I say. My mother stands up when I do, and we walk out of the building.

     Amalia isn't there when we get to the front of the car park, and panic rises in me before I look to the side and see her, coming toward us.

     Crying.

     I rush over to her. "What's wrong, baby?" I ask, wrapping my arms around her in a hug.

     She inhales a deep breath before sputtering out: "I—I was walking around the back of the building to stretch m-my legs a little, but then I walked into a wall."

     "Aw, honey, are you okay?" My mother asks her. Amalia turns her head away from my chest to look at her. "Oh my, the side of your face is all red."

Her eyes widen. "What? I have to take pictures!"

"It's fine. She said you're finished. That's not what matters right now though, baby. Let's get you an ice pack or something. I'm sure they have them."

     She holds my hand, and my heart warms; I can't remember the last time she did that. I give it a small, reassuring squeeze and lead her back into the studio.

     Kiera at the front desk furrows her eyebrows in concern. "What happened?" She asks. "Are you okay, Amalia?"

     "I ran into a wall." She says. "I'm okay."

     "Do you have any ice packs?" I ask.

     "Yeah, yeah, of course. I'll grab you one."

     She rushes into the back room, emerging a few moments later with a large ice pack. Amalia takes it and presses it to the side of her face. "Thanks." My little girl mumbles.

     "There you are, Amalia." The woman, Cindy, says as she walks over. She pauses, head tilted slightly. "What happened?"

"She walked into a wall." My mother explains.

"Oh, gosh. Are you alright, sweetie?" Cindy asks her.

Amalia nods. "Yeah. I don't need to take any more pictures, do I? Half my face looks like a tomato."

"No, we're finished for today. I'll let you go home now." She tells her.

"Thanks." Amalia mumbles.

She walks back to the studio, and Amalia sits down on one of the couches. I sit beside her, and she leans all her weight on me. I plant a kiss in her hair.

     "Do you wanna get changed?" I suggest quietly. She nods and stands, holding the ice pack up to her face.

     She walks off, and I sigh.