29

• LORENZO •

I knock on Amalia's closed door before entering.

     Archer is focused on the laptop between them, and Amalia is staring at her phone like her life depends on it. She looks up at me.

     "Hi dad!" She shouts.

     I smile. "Hi, baby. You guys okay?"

She nods. "We're so great!"

Archer offers me a small, awkward smile. I look at him as I say: "do you mind if I talk to you in the hall for a minute?"

"Okay." He replies quietly, sending a look to Amalia that I can't decipher as he climbs off the bed.

"What about?" Amalia asks.

"Nothing." I reply. He might not want Amalia to know. "We'll only be a second."

     She frowns as I open the door wider, giving him room to walk out. He does, a nervous look on his face. I close the door behind him.

     "Alexandra told my kids something interesting." I begin.

     He pales. "What did she say?"

     "That you guys are living in your car."

"She makes stuff up." He says. "She likes making stories. This is just another one of those."

I sigh heavily. "It's winter. You guys could get really sick. Especially on a night like this."

"We're not living in my car." He says. "We're living with our mother."

"Is that right?" I question.

"So if I go look at your car, all your things won't be there?" I ask.

"I—"

"Let me ask you again." I say. He inhales. "Are you living in your car?"

Amalia's door bursts open. "You're living in your car?"

I sigh. "Amalia." I begin, "you're not supposed to eavesdrop. We've talked about this."

"You're in front of my room. I have every right to put my ear by the door." She says defensively. She turns to Archer, frowning. "You're living in your car?" She repeats, her voice softer this time.

"I—it's complicated." Archer says.

     "I mean, it's a pretty simple question." Amalia mutters.

     Archer sighs. "Yeah, we are. But I'm getting a job to try find somewhere proper for us to live."

     I arch an eyebrow. "You think getting a job at some donut shop—because that's probably all you'll be able to get—is gonna get you a safe place to live and leave you with enough money to raise a little kid?"

     Archer frowns, looking away as though he's suddenly ashamed. Amalia looks up at me, and I can tell by the way that she's widening her eyes a little that she's about to ask for something.