10

• AMALIA •

Archer only stays for an hour and a half. We don't talk much, and when we do we simply share ideas or write things down. It isn't awkward, though.

I lead him toward the front door, pulling it open for him. He steps outside, then turns back to me. "Bye."

I smile. "Bye. I'll see you in school."

An emotion I can't name passes across his features before he nods, then retreats down the path. I'm about to close the door when I see him climb onto a motorcycle. I feel my cheeks heat when he looks back at me.

And lifts his hand in a wave.

My blush probably spreads all over my face as I wave back, biting my lip to hide my grin.

He drives off, the sound of his engine reaching me long after he's gone.

I sigh and shut the door, jumping when I turn around and see Mason staring at me.

"You scared me." I say, exhaling a large breath.

"Your friend rides a motorcycle?" He questions, dark eyebrow arched.

     "Yeah, I guess." I say.

     There's a knock on the door, and I smile. Maybe Archer forgot something. But I don't know why I'm hoping for that.

I pull the doorknob open, pausing when I see no one there. I take a step, but Mason sets a hand on my shoulder and pulls me back, crouching down and grabbing a small box from the welcome mat.

     "What's that?"

     "I don't know." He says. He glances at me, then turns away slightly as he pulls the lid off. He shifts again when I attempt to look over his shoulder, and after a second he quickly shoves the lid back on. He returns his gaze to me. "Go to your room." He orders.

     "What? Why?" I ask. "What's in there?"

     "Nothing." He says. "Go. Now."

     "Mason—"

     "I wasn't asking, Amalia." He says, tone stern.

     I frown and walk over to the stairs, stomping up each step grumpily.

• LORENZO •

"What's that?" I ask, nodding to the red gift box in his hands.

He turns to me with a panicked expression. He doesn't say anything, only walking toward me and dropping it down onto my desk.

I furrow my eyebrows and lean forward. I pull the top off the box and immediately drop it to the side.

There's a note.

I LOVE YOU, AMALIA.

I move the note, gasping when I see an animal heart beneath it.

• AMALIA •

Mason comes back up to my room half an hour later. He has a suitcase behind him, which he sets by the end of my bed.

     "You're staying with me tonight." He says.

     I frown. "Why?"

     "We're having a sleepover, c'mon." He replies. He begins to fold up my school uniform, thrown over my desk chair. "You need to start hanging your stuff up, Lia."