9

• LORENZO •

"I need to go, dad." Amalia says quietly as she faces me, standing on the other side of my desk. "I've already missed one day."

     "Amalia, you can contact your teachers and ask to do the work at home." I reply calmly.

     "I have projects to do." She says. "I can't stay at home forever."

"It's safer for you here, Lia."

Her eyes water, and I see the words weaselled into her expression, painted on her face as clear as day. Clearly it's not.

There are security cameras being set up around the house, and they've already been installed inside. There are two around Amalia's room, and multiple on the walk to it.

     I sigh. "Just for today, Amalia. Please." I say the last word with so much desperation that it's pitiful.

"Fine." She says, frowning.

She takes her phone off the desk, and is about to leave when I say: "why don't you try take a nap?" I suggest. "You were on the couch with Elijah all night?"

She shakes her head. "I'm not tired." Though her sleepy voice and contained yawn betrays her.

"Do you wanna stay in my room?" I ask.

She shakes her head again.

"I can ask one of your brothers to stay with you. Maybe you can go into one of their rooms and watch TV?"

She hesitates before nodding. I smile and stand. "Who do you want?" I question.

She shrugs. "I don't care."

"Okay." I reply. "I'll be back in a second."

I walk out of my study, into the kitchen, where Mason is sitting at the island. He glances up at me, tearing his eyes from his phone, when I walk in.

"Can you take Amalia to your room and stay with her while she takes a nap?" I ask him.

"Sure." He says, standing and immediately shoving his phone into his pocket.

I smile. "Thanks. She's in my office."

"Alright." He responds, rushing out of the room.

• ARCHER •

I get to school fifteen minutes late after I had to go get milk for my mother and drop Ally off at school. I walk to form, finding myself immediately searching for Amalia. A frown unwillingly settles itself onto my lips when I don't see her.

     I walk over to my seat, pulling out my phone. I didn't message her last night. I can now.

     I type her number in.

     ME: It's Archer. Are you coming to school?

     I don't even know why I care. I don't want to do this stupid project. But my fingers begin to fly over the screen again anyway.