77

• AMALIA •

My two oldest brothers take me to a nail salon. It's not very busy, so I'm able to go in one of the chairs immediately.

     I ask for acrylics. Since it's only two and a half weeks until Christmas, I ask for a festive design. Within an hour, she's finished, and she takes a picture of the design to put up on their social media.

     I thank her, and Elijah gives her the money before they lead me out of the nail salon, down the road to a small restaurant

"Is there anything you want to do after we eat?" Elijah asks as we sit down in the booth.

I ponder. Then I say, "can we go ice skating?"

"Since when do you know how to ice skate?" Xander asks me.

"I don't." I reply. "But I'm a fast learner. It's only gliding on ice."

     "Hm. Sure, we'll go."

     A waitress comes over and takes our orders, and twenty minutes later we're being served our food.

Xander takes a few bites and leans back. "My food is better."

I smile. "Yeah."

He smiles too.

We walk into the ice skating place, but the woman at the front desk tells us we won't be able to go today because there's a figure skating competition going on. Apparently it's one of the most important ones for people under eighteen.

     I hear the announcements over the loudspeakers. A feminine voice says: "Celine Monet, with Me and the Devil."

     I can hear the shattering applause even when we step outside. Elijah sets a hand on my shoulder. "What else would you like to do?"

     "Yeah. Anything you want." Xander encourages.

     I shrug. "C-can we go back to the house? I'm tired."

     "Okay, sure." Xander smiles, but it's sad. I look away, feeling guilty as I wrap my arms around myself.

     We get back into Elijah's car, and then drive back.

• LORENZO •

It's eleven a.m. when I decide to check on Heidi. She's been asleep for a while, and I need to make sure that she's okay.

     I walk upstairs, then down the hallway. I open her door after knocking without a response, and my heart squeezes when I see her fast asleep on the bed. I look at her for a moment before going to leave. But just as I'm about to turn out the door, she says my name.