67

• AMALIA •

I walk home, making a small detour, the rain blending with my tears until I'm unable to distinguish which is which. My clothes are completely soaked through, and I begin to regret not wearing a thicker jacket. Not that that would even do much to send away the chill floating across every inch of my skin.

I open the front door, stepping inside. I'm immediately engulfed in warm air and let out a small exhale of relief when I grow warmer.

I push my shoes off with my feet and look up, seeing Silas walking down the stairs. Our gazes clash, and she furrows her eyebrows. "What happened to you?"

I walk past her, feeling icky in my soggy clothes. I hear her footsteps as she follows me, and she says my name. I turn around as I get to my bedroom door. "What happened?" She asks me, arching an eyebrow. It's only now that I notice she has a piercing there, and I bring my hand up to my ear, realising that I only have one. Maybe I should get more.

"Archer's gone." I say, sniffling. I internally groan; I'll probably come down with a cold soon. Maybe I should've just called someone to pick me up, but I don't wanna talk right now.

"Gone where?"

"He's gone. To Glasgow. We were supposed to be able to spend the day together until one, but his mum showed up at the beach and took them. Now he and his little sister are gone. Forever. For-ev-er."

"You'll be able to call him, no?"

"We said we wouldn't. We're never talking again."

"Well that's stupid."

I frown, even though I know that it is. I don't know why I ever agreed to doing it in the first place, but there's no going back now.

"I—" I hiccup, and when I talk again my voice is wobbly, "I need a shower."

"Okay." She says.

Without another word, I walk into my bedroom and close the door, feeling Silas's softened gaze on my back.

When I step out of my bathroom, all I want to do is collapse onto my bed and go to sleep. But when I look up, Silas is there again, sitting on my bed. For a few moments, we just look at each other, but then I say, "what're you doing in my room?"

"I just wanted to make sure that you're okay."

"I am." I respond quietly.

"You're sure?"

I nod. "I just want to take a nap." I tell her.

"Okay." She says. She stands, putting her phone in her pocket, and leaves the room. When the door closes behind her, I lock it and draw my blackout curtains together. Then I open my bag, pulling out the plastic pouch with three syringes in it. It was all the guy had left, so it'll have to do until I can find an opportunity to buy more. Maybe I'll dip into my Florist Fund to get some.

I take one out, then inject it into my arm. When the liquid mixes with my blood, I feel instant relief. I get under my covers, then pass out.

When I wake up again, it's to someone knocking on my door. My eyes peel open, and I look around, dazed. Quickly, I stash all the syringes under my pillow and walk over to the door, unlocking it and cracking it open.

Elijah stands there, and his eyes fill with something like relief when he sees me. "Hi, angel." He says softly. I open the door all the way, and he smiles. Wordlessly, he closes the distance between us and wraps a muscled arm around around my shoulders, pulling me to him. He plants a kiss in my hair, bringing his hand to rest on the back of my head. "You okay?"