chapter seventeen

Quick author's note. i can't remember if Rosalind can manipulate light like it happened with Stella in that one episode, or was that Queen Luna. But for the sake of the story, she is able to do that.

'I'm here to see your progress.' My ass. She watched her father carefully as he walked with fake confidence with Rosalind in tow. They were headed for the stone circle. Where the magic is stronger and less prying eyes. Sae's hand shook with anxiousness at the though of what could happen at any given moment. He didn't look at her, not even once, since he got here. And she knows it shouldn't bother her as much as it does. He was never the type of parent to give you encouraging words or gestures. Even less so after her mother died.

Sae was in her own little world as she walked behind them, not expecting it in a little bit. The soundless footsteps on the grass, started to echo, she frowns as she watches the ground turn to white marble. She lifts her head up her eyes searching around her, the trees and woods turned into high walls, the ceiling above her decorated with crystal chandeliers. It didn't take her long to realise it's the main hall at her home.

She stops in the middle, turning around, only then realising she's alone, and the hall kept going on both side, she couldn't see the end on either. She racked her mind, a confused look on her face. But it clicked the moment she remembered who Rosalind is and the last time something like this happened. And it wasn't her favorite thing in the world. 

She didn't know wheter to keep walking or if she should just stand there and wait. She knew they could see her, so she prepared herself for the inevitable attack. And just like she suspected, a water blast hit her in the back making her stumble, catching herself in just the last moment, so she doesn't faceplant the floor. 

She turns around quciklly, motioning her hand to bring the water from the ground, creating a wall of it. Out of the corner of her eye she saw another personn, a guard of her fathers, without waiting for him to strike she brings another wall in between them too. His attack failed as it hit it. With both her hands occupied, raised and holding the water walls she doesn't expect another guard from behind her. Hearing the woosh of water, she brings both her arms closer. The water wall falling and turning into a canon as she counters the same attack from the guard behind her. 

Water splashing everywhere, she brings it up and making a 180° turn she attacks the first guard. It sends him flying and she focuses on the other two, but she couldn't find them anywhere. She took deep, measured breaths, waiting for their next attack. 

Outside, Roslalind glanced at Sae's father, looking for approval to do more. When he gave a curt nod Rosalind's lips turned into a sly smile. She dimmed the lights around her, so she could barely see. Sae turned around waiting, her eyes wide with anticipation. 

A dozen ice shards flew in her direction, she raised her hands  to create a wall of water, freezing it, just in time. The shards mostly breaking at the impact, but a few stuck through, just a few inches away from her hands. She squeezed her fists, the ice breaking and falling to the ground, the sound echoing in her ears. 

She grunted as she raised her hands, a wave forming behind her, it sweeped under her legs, lifting her up in the air as she stood on top if it. Lowering her hands the wave started going forwards, fast, it hit the three guards that stood infront of her. making them loose balance and fall. As soon as she passed them, she turned around, making the water freeze around their ankles and hands. 

She blew her hair out of her face, thinking it was finally over. The guards dissapeared in a blink and the ice turned into water, filling up the hallway. The water rose from her ankles, above her hips, to her shoulders. When it got too deep she started swimming, not exactly sure on what she needs to do. 

She remembered her training at Andros. Maybe they want her to keep her breath, but the water filled up to the brim as she took her last breath, letting herself sink in the middle. Her eyes adjusted to water quickly as she looked around. Will they attack her from under water too? But everythin was still, so still.

"What will you do in a life or death situation, Sae?", a voice echoed in her head, she wnated to gulp, wotking on keeping her heart steady and calm her nerves, so she can hold her breath as long as it's needed. 

"We wouldn't want you to end up like your mother. Would we?", the same voice said, frowning Sae turned in water, looking for the source - even though she knew she couldn't see the person. "My mother died a hero.", Sae thought, knowing Rosalind was in her head. A chuckle echoed, it sounded like it was coming from all around her, she couldn't pinpoint the source. But to get out of this, she knew she had to find where the hell Roslaind's standing. 

"Your mother died because of her mistakes. She couldn't control her magic, so she killed the evil, the good and herself. ", Sae breathing quickened as she balled her hands into fists." I'll kill you. ", she wanted to yell. "You can try. But will you kill everyone else in the process? Just like your mother."

Sae's had enough. She quezzed her fists so hard, her fingers started to turn white. Gritting her teeth, she let the anger take control, freezing the water around herself, she could feel the cold creeping in. The ice formed from outside, growing towards her, until it was all around her. Her brows furrowed and mouth in a scowl, she screams towards the sky, her head thrown back. The ice around her breaking into millions of tiny pieces.

Rosalind didn't expect it as she let her magic stop, but Sae could only see the ice around her as it flew around her, her feet firmly on the grass under her. Her eyes locked with white one's of Rosalind. Leaving her hands outstretched, palms up, she brought her hands up. The small pieces of ice turning into needles. Sae doesn't break eye contact as she drops her hands by her side and with them the ice needles start falling all around them. But not one did hit her or either of the other people around her. 

She was breathing heavily, and when the ice rain finally stopped falling, she finally felt the cold around her. Looking down at her hands she could see the ice on them, reaching all the way to her neck, she knew her legs and torso were also covered as she shivered from the cold. Her breaths coming out in puffs of white. Her wet hair and eyelashes had iceforming like crystal droplets. 

Slow clap brought her back to, her eyes following the sound. Her father clapped, but a scowl etched itself on his face. He dropped his hands, giving Rosalind a look, they both nodded their heads and then he turned away, leaving her alone there, without saying as much as a goodbye.