1.

~•~•~•~𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐚𝐲~•~•~•~

~•~•~•~
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐚𝐲
~•~•~•~

That day has come again. The Reaping day. I hate this day, I hate the fact that for another year they have to choose innocent children to be sent to certain death. Mom and Dad were right that the whole system we live in is fucked up, it's only profitable for you if you come from a great family and have a lot of money.

I don't know any of the people who live in the Capitol, but I'm sure there's something wrong with these people. How can they watch and be entertained by children fighting to the death and dying every year, it's sick. And the worst thing is that nobody can do anything. My parents tried and what happened to them? They ordered the peacekeepers to beat them to death, it's a miracle they didn't kill me too.

Now I live alone in the house they decided to leave me until I turn 18 because they couldn't leave a 13-year-old girl without a home. Not that I stay at home often, most of the time I go to sleep at my best friend Layla's place.

She is all I have left. Her family is more than good to me and I am very grateful to them for taking care of me. I don't know what I would do without them.

"What are you still doing here Mel?" Hearing this I jump because I didn't expect someone to be with me. I turn and see Layla, who is probably waiting for me to get ready for the ceremony.

"Jesus Layla, you scared me! How did you know I was here?"

"Well, where can you be if not in the forest? You're here every day, I don't know how you don't get bored."

"I'd rather be here than at the drawing of participants in the Games." I don't think anyone from our district would prefer to be there, maybe people from 1, 2, and 4 districts like it, but not us. With them, it's much different - they volunteer to participate, but this is normal since they are trained from a young age in a special academy how to fight.

"I'm sure of it, but you still have to get ready. You don't know, maybe you can be the chosen one and you should at least look good." She jokes.

"I'm glad you're finding this day fun."

"Oh come on, you know damn well you won't be chosen. After all, what are the chances that they will choose you?" This is the problem. There's a good chance it'll be me in the arena this year.

"35. My name is in there 35 times." She takes her smile off her face and now I can see that she is also slightly worried.
At least I'm glad that the chances of it being her are very small because her name is only 3 times there. Her brother Gale is doing his best to keep her name from being entered more times, but on the other hand, his name is probably in there more than mine.

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, Gale is 42 times." I widen my eyes when I hear that. This is not good at all.

Gale is like a big brother to me, he's always been there for me. Sometimes we hunt together, unlike his sister he likes to hunt, and therefore his chances of survival are greater than hers. That's why his name is recorded more times than hers.

"Do you think they will choose him?" I ask Layla.

"I don't know. It's his last year so I really hope it's not him." I notice that she is getting a little worried about her brother, but I try not to think about it so much because he is strong and even if he participates, he has a chance to win.

We both sit on a big rock without saying anything more. The conversation suddenly died down, so it is better not to continue it. This goes on for 5-6 minutes, we just sit and enjoy the life we ​​have left. Days like this make me think that I should appreciate the fact that I'm still alive, while the person who gets elected today won't be alive much longer. I decide to get up and turn to her.

"Let's go change and look good for the ceremony." She smiles and we are going home.

~•~

I showered and put on my green dress which was a gift from my mother. She gave it to me when I was 12 and said that when I grow up I will be able to wear it. The dress is nice, soft and suits me. It's a sin to wear it for this awful occasion.

I look in the mirror and I can admit that it fits me well. I wish on days like this my parents were there to comfort me as they did when I was 12. Now I'm scared, I try not to show it but inside I feel a huge fear and I can't admit it to anyone. I want this day to be over and to sleep in my own bed in the night.

I make a simple braid and leave two small strands in the front. I think I'm ready to go to the ceremony. My stomach churns just thinking about it.

~•~

The moment has come. We have gathered the girls in one place, the boys in another. Because Layla is a year younger than me, we don't stay in the same place, but she's still not that far from me.

She turns to me and says with her lips "Everything is gonna be okay" and I smile at her. I hope everything will be alright. But I have to admit that she's right, there's still a big chance they'll choose a girl I don't even know, as happened in previous years.

Now I turn my attention to District 12's escort - Effie Trinket. This year she's all in pink - her dress, her wig, and her face is white. She steps onto the platform in her high heels, which I'm sure she finds difficult to walk in and begins to speak into the microphone.

"Welcome! Welcome! Happy Hunger Games and may the Odds Be Ever in your Favour!" She says with enthusiasm. I'm sure she doesn't like her job, but I can't judge her. I mean if I was an escort of District 12, I would probably hate this job.

"Now, before we begin, we have a special message brought to you all the way from the Capitol!" She continues with her speech.

"War, terrible war. Widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won. A people rose up from the ashes and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost. When the traitors were defeated, we swore as a nation we would never know this treason again. And so it was decreed, that each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up in tribute, one man and woman, to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage, and sacrifice. The lone champion, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and our forgiveness. This is how we remember our past. This is how we safeguard our future."

The Capitol always plays the same video every year, which I hate watching. I try not to focus on the video but to distract myself with something. I look at Gale and he at me and we smile at each other. Then I notice that the video is coming to an end.

"I just love that! Now, as usual, ladies first!" Effie Trinket goes to the bowl with the names and puts her hand in it. Suddenly it's so quiet, I can hear how my own heart is beating.

Every year she delays on purpose to have more tension. She feels for several papers with names but finally chooses one and picks it up to read.

I can already imagine how she reads my name. But instead, I hear something far worse.

"Layla Hawthorne"