19.

~•~•~•~"𝐓𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮

~•~•~•~
"𝐓𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮."
~•~•~•~

I wake up to the sound of the cannon and startle. I look at Rue and realize that I am not the only one who has woken up.

"Who do you think that was?" I ask.

"I don't know, but I hope it's someone from the Careers.'' Hearing that, a certain concern arises that it might have been Cato. It's possible Thresh found him and defeated him. No, no one can beat him. I put those thoughts out of my head immediately.

"I don't think anyone killed one of them. Rather, they were the ones who killed someone."

"I don't know, but we have to do something about it," Rue says.

She is right, most years District 1, 2, or 4 win the Games. We have to do something to change it, but what? What's the one thing that always helps the Careers win, besides the fact that they have over ten years of training for The Hunger Games? 

"We will change that. We are good too."

"No, you're good. What can I do besides climbing trees?"

"Rue, ask yourself. How are you still alive without taking food or weapons from the Cornucopia?" This is what we need.

"Well I can feed myself and hide-"

"That's right! Can they feed themselves?" I'm sure they can't last long without food. It's the Hunger Games, after all, they need to starve a little too.

"But Melanie, they don't have to." 

"No, and that's the problem. We have to take care of that and I know how." For the first time, I have a real plan of action. A plan that will totally turn the tables in the Games and even Rue and I will have a chance to win.

"How?" Rue looks at me with hopeful eyes.

"We will destroy their supplies in the Cornucopia." 

~•~

Rue and I agreed that she should go spy on the Careers and I should hunt for something to eat. At first, I didn't want to leave her alone, but she insisted and convinced me that she could manage without anyone seeing her. At noon, we'll be waiting for each other at our place.

There aren't as many animals around me this time. It's hard to hunt when there's nothing to hunt. It's so quiet, there is almost no life in this forest. The gamemakers must be messing with me again, so they removed all the animals.  

I can't find anything for half an hour, I hope at least Rue is doing better at her task than I am. I hear a sharp noise behind me and I immediately turn, ready to shoot. Just when I think I've found an animal, it turns out I'm wrong. This is definitely not the animal I wanted to find.