21.

~•~•~•~𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐛𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

~•~•~•~
𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐛𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠.
~•~•~•~

I'm slowly realizing the significance of the news. A boy and a girl can win the Hunger Games. We can both win. I have to find him, we have to win this thing together. 

I immediately stand up and start to run through the woods. I want to find him and get this all over with. Now my chances are better and I can go back home to Layla. I can go back home with him. As I run, a cannon is suddenly heard.

"Cato!" I scream his name without being able to stop myself. I'm freaking out that it could have been him and he's dead now. All kinds of thoughts run through my head. I run like crazy not knowing where I'm going. 

I'm bumping into several branches. How did the gamemakers allow there to be two winners? Is this not some kind of trap for me to run right to Cato and have him kill me? Or... another thought crosses my mind. Maybe he really likes me. I can't be sure until I find him.

I get to the lake and then I see him. He is alive, wounded but alive. His leg is bleeding and he is sitting down, clearly in pain. I can see that the boy is clenching his teeth but when he looks up from his leg, he notices me and then his face relaxes. His eyes meet mine and that's the moment all my doubts disappear. I run towards him and cross the lake. I feel that the water is cold, but that doesn't bother me.

"Cato," I say in relief when I reach him. Without thinking, I hug him tightly and he wraps his arms around me. I hear his heavy breathing and let go of him to see his wound. "What happened?"

"Melanie," He whispers, ignoring my question.

"Did you hear the new rule? Please tell me what happened to your leg. Are you okay?" I question him like crazy.

"The boy from District 10. After hearing the rule I rushed to look for you but found him. We fought, and it turned out he had a knife and cut me right before I killed him. I didn't even expect that he had any weapon." 

I have vague memories of this boy, I only remember that he was older than me. Maybe 17 or 18 years old, but I never expected that someone from District 10 could do such a wound to a Career. Especially Cato. The thing that surprises me though is that Cato has started looking for me. I know Clove is still alive, but still, he was looking for me. Cato wants to win the Games with me.

"I heard the cannon, I thought it was you." 

"Well, it offends me that you thought someone could kill me." He jokes. "I thought by now it became clear to you who the real winner was."

"Now we can both be. We just need to find something to help you heal the wound." 

"I'm not sure if we'll make it. Food supplies exploded along with medicine." I suddenly feel a little guilty about being the one who blew up the food and medicine. If I hadn't done that, it would be easier for me to heal Cato.