24.

~•~•~𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤

~•~•~
𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤.
~•~•~

I decide to sleep for a few hours during the day and have Cato on duty. With his leg now better, I allowed myself to take a nap for a bit.

Cato's view:

Melanie fell asleep lying on my chest. It's weird for me to let someone so close to me. I'm not the type of person who likes cuddles and kisses. I have never stayed to sleep with the girls I've hooked up with because I'm not into relationships. I didn't think there was any point in having a girlfriend when I can win the Games and do whatever I wanted.

But she is different. Melanie changes the way I see the meaning of life. When I told her that I volunteered for the Games because it was the only thing that made any sense to me, it was true. I still think that but now I don't want to be the only one who wins. For the first time in my life, I want to share something and not be the selfish person I've always been. But for me, that won't be the real reward. The real reward will be Melanie, and I have no intention of sharing her.

The question is what happens after we win? Will President Snow allow us to live in the same District? And more interestingly, how will I behave with her? This will be hard as hell for me. At home, I can't be the kind person she wants, in our District that's called weakness. And I'm not weak, never have been, and hardly will be able to be.

I can imagine my father's reaction if I come home. He won't be thrilled that I got a girl out of the arena. But who actually cares? I will be the one who wins the Games, not him. My whole life he has taught me to be cold-blooded to get to this point, and here I am. And Melanie is coming with me.

~•~

Sometime in the afternoon, she wakes up and looks at me sleepily.

"Hey," I say.

"Hey," She returns and smiles at me.

Unable to stop myself, I lean down and kiss her on the lips. The kiss lasts about ten seconds and then she smiles warmly at me. I'm comforted by the feel of her warm lips, which is why I can barely stay away from them.

"That's a good way to say good morning," Melanie jokes.

"I just know what you'll like." I smile at her. "Come on, it's time to get out of this place."

"From the cave?"

"No, from the arena itself. It's time to go home, Melly."

Melanie's view:

Home. The place I didn't think I'd ever go back to.

Cato and I agree to go hunting because we need to eat something and then we will finish everything. We'll find Thresh and Foxface and we'll go home. At least that's the plan we intend to follow.