27.

~•~•~•~𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

~•~•~•~
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠.
~•~•~•~

I feel the metal platform lift me to the stage. All I can think of is Cato. I wanted to see him so much, but now I'm scared. I'm afraid he might push me out of his life and that this whole thing was just a game for him.

When I'm already on stage, I can see Cato just a few meters away. My heart is pounding like crazy. Just look at me and I'll know it's all right. He seems to be reading my mind and his eyes meet mine. Then a smirk crosses his face and now I know everything is fine. 

I throw myself into his arms and he holds me tighter. I can't believe how clean Cato is and he doesn't have a single wound on him. It has nothing to do with what it was the last time I saw him. I hear the audience is going crazy and we can't seem to let go of each other. 

Cato takes my face in his hands and, without hesitation, kisses me on the lips. The audience goes even more crazy and after he lets me go, I grin at him like a little girl. Do you know how worried I was that I might not feel your lips anymore? Cato kisses me one more time and then Caesar invites us to sit on the winner's sofa.

Usually, it's just one chair, but since there are two of us now, the gamemakers have added a sofa. Now we are about to watch a film about the most important moments of the Games.

Cato sits down first and before I have a chance to sit, he pulls me onto his lap. The blond boy wraps his arms around my waist and I hear a few aws from the audience. This way I can feel his warm breath on my neck.

"Do you know how I freaked out when I woke up and was told I couldn't see you before the ceremony?" Cato whispers in my ear and I can't help but smile. I turn to look at him.

"It wasn't easy for me either." Not only was it not easy for me, it was even impossible. Everyone I asked how Cato was doing, and they told me that he might not survive. The boy goes to kiss me but Caesar interrupts him.

"Well, well, I guess we should leave you alone for a bit. What do you think?" Caesar jokes and the audience laughs.

I miss the time when no one, well except Haymitch, kept track of whether Cato and I were together. Alone time with him doesn't sound like a bad idea. I have so many things I want to tell him but I can't right now. While we're still here at the Capitol, everyone is watching our every move. Especially President Snow.

"I wouldn't refuse some alone time with Melanie," Cato replies and they all laugh. I give a shy smile.

"I'm sure you'll have such a time, especially now that you're both winners."

My hand finds his and he squeezes it tightly. Caesar cracks a few more jokes and then the movie begins. I had forgotten that the victor have to look at the whole thing anew. I dread having to watch the other tributes die again. The only thing that calms me is that Cato is by my side. I don't think I would have been ready to watch if he had died in the arena too.