28.

~•~•~𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞

~•~•~
𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞.
~•~•~

Cato's view:

The elevator doors closed. Melanie left me alone on the rooftop, confused. I don't understand why she took that so personally. I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't glad I won with her, I just shouldn't have been the one who got saved.

I was expected to get us both out of the arena. Now everyone thinks I can't do anything unless someone helps me. Everyone thinks if it weren't for her, I'd be dead. And that's right, I'm alive thanks to her.

I want to explain to Melanie that my District is not like hers. Everyone knows me there, everyone knows what I'm capable of and now that they've seen the Games, the first thing they'll do is laugh in my face. But that's not the most important thing, it's that my father won't want to look at me again. He probably thinks he's been raising a coward who shows weakness.

He always told me that no matter what, I shouldn't show people weakness and I always did what he told me. In the Games, I showed and it wasn't a physical one, but much worse. Melanie is what makes me weak, she is my weakness.

And even if I do care about her, that's the thing that ruins my reputation. I don't care what other people think, except my father, he is the person I have spent so many years trying to prove myself to. The Games were what should have made him proud of me, but I failed in the worst possible way. Not only did the whole country see how I nearly died, but now I have to listen to how badly I performed. At least, if I was dead, I wouldn't have to listen to his whining.

However, this is not the problem I have now. I shouldn't have told that to Melanie at all, but how would I know that she will accept it that way? I have no idea what can affect a person, I'm not good with other people's feelings. I'm not good with this emotional shit, I don't know how to fix things with her. Melanie is the person who knows what to do when such a thing happens, I, on the other hand, have never cared if anyone would be angry with me or hate me. However, it's different with her and I shouldn't treat her that way, but I have a hell of a hard time being nice to anyone.

I get in the elevator and press the button for my apartment floor. I'll talk to Melanie tomorrow and make sure she's in a place where no one can hear us. No cameras, no other people, just the two of us.

Melanie's view:

In the morning we have to say goodbye to the Capitol and get on the train. I will finally go home. I can't wait to see Layla, Gale, and their mom, that's all I want right now. To go home to the people I love the most.

I'm trying hard not to meet Cato, but as much as I want to, it's impossible. Now everyone expects us to be in love, we have to be together all the time. At least we'll be traveling on different trains which was predictable considering we don't live in the same District.

Before we board the train, Cato and I have to say goodbye to the citizens of the Capitol, meaning we have to pretend to be a happy couple. Even though I know he'd rather be dead right now. We wave at everyone, Cato wrapping one arm around my waist. I'm smiling like an idiot and pretend to be happy to see these people, but actually, I can't stand them. As I wave and grin, Cato whispers something in my ear.