6.

~•~•~•~𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

~•~•~•~
𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠.
~•~•~•~

The first few seconds we just look at each other, both of us surprised by our unexpected meet. Then he lifts his chin slightly and a small smirk appears on his lips.

And now what'll I do? If I don't get in the elevator, it'll look like I'm afraid of him, which is not a lie, but it shouldn't be known. If I get in the elevator I'll start to worry for my life, I mean, this guy can kill me just by twisting my neck.

I know it would be stupid of me to get in the elevator with him, but I have no choice. I'll probably die in the arena anyway, so what does it matter?

I walk in and pray we'll just be silent and separate when the elevator's doors open. However, I see that he is also for the top floor, which stresses me out even more. I stand next to the boy because I don't want to face him. Standing like that, I realize how tall Cato is, probably about 6 feet, which makes me feel even more intimidated.

With my peripheral vision, I notice that Cato turns his head to look at me, but I pretend I don't see him. At this moment, I can feel my heart racing and I can't stop thinking that getting into the elevator was a huge mistake. He watches me for a few seconds and I find it tempting to turn to him to meet his blue eyes again.

"Well done for stealing our attention, 12." Oh, no. He's mad about the parade and with good reason. The elevator doors open. Finally.

"I didn't steal anything," I say just before exiting the elevator and then walking forward. I hear his footsteps behind me and I understand that I'll hardly escape from him.

"Oh, really? Then why did everyone, seeing you, completely forget about me?" Cato says and I decide to stop in one place because I see no point in running away from him. He will follow me wherever I go. I just look at him, trying not to show that I'm scared.

"Are you going to pretend you don't hear me?"

"No, I just don't want to talk to you. Isn't it obvious?" As soon as I say it, I regret doing it. I really like writing my death sentences.

Cato looks at me like he's ready to kill me. Apparently, he doesn't like it when someone opposes him. I didn't need that someone to be me. The boy is getting very close to me, not taking his eyes off mine and I start to worry, as I'm sure that this time he can tell that I'm scared. He's only an inch from my face for a moment, but then he leans down to my ear.

"You don't look as innocent as everyone else says. Be careful who you mess with." He whispers to me and then walks off somewhere else. I'm sitting in one place trying to understand what happened. I think I have already made my first enemy. And that's my worst possible choice for an enemy.

~•~

I don't get much sleep at night. I can't stop thinking about Layla and Gale, who I know I may never see again. I know I promised them I'd do everything I could to win, but the thought of killing someone freaks me out. It's just not me, I can't do it. The thought of someone's life being taken because of my fault makes me feel terrible about myself. This is crazy. We are all children here and most of us have loved ones waiting for us to come home.

But 23 of us will be dead soon, and I must not allow myself to be part of them. I promised Layla that I would win, I intend to keep my promise.

The other thing that keeps me awake is the words of the boy from District 2. I did it to myself, now the first person he'll want to kill is me. I wonder if I should tell Haymitch so we can come up with something that can save my ass, but I decide it's better for now that no one knows. If Haymitch finds out, so will Peeta, and I don't want him to be dragged into this as well.

I decide to try to free myself from my thoughts and to still manage to get at least 4 hours of sleep. We have to get up early to meet Haymitch to talk about what'll be our roles and then go to the training center. We will spend the next few days there preparing for the arena.

~•~

"So, let's start. The training. First, if you want, I will train you individually. Decide now." Haymitch tells us while we're eating breakfast.

"Why train us separately?" I ask.

"Like if you have some secret skill that you don't want the other person to know about," Haymitch says.

So far, Peeta seems like a person I can trust. And we know each other relatively well, in District 12 every time his dad bought my squirrels, Peeta was with him and we'd have a word or two.
Well, for sure, I wouldn't trust him with my life, but I think it's unnecessary to hide from him that I can shoot with a bow. It's not some new information for him. 

"You can train us together," I tell Haymitch and Peeta agrees with me.

"Okay, then tell me what you can do. Is anyone good with any weapons and have you even touched one?"

"She can shoot a bow. She is very good, my father buys her squirrels. He always notes how the arrows never pierce the body. She hits every squirrel in the eye." These words of Peeta catch me off guard. I'm surprised he paid so much attention to the squirrels.

I have no idea why he's praising me so much in front of Haymitch, but it's kind of bothering me. I don't see any point in him doing it, as he knows very well that he is not helping himself.

"Peeta's strong. He can throw a hundred sack of flour right over his head, I've seen it." I also begin to reveal to Haymitch what he is good at.

"Okay, well I'm not going to kill anybody with a sack of flour." From his reaction, I understand that he doesn't like what I said.

"No, but you might have a better chance of winning if somebody comes after you with a knife."

"I have no chance of winning! None!" Peeta screams and we all fall silent. "It's true and everybody knows it. Do you know what my mother said? She said District 12 might finally have a winner. But she wasn't talking about me, she was talking about you."

I am speechless with surprise. How can a mother say that to her son, to value my capabilities more highly than his? I understand that Peeta is not lying because I can very well see the pain in his eyes.

There is an awkward silence and for a moment I forget that Haymitch is with us.

"So, so, so. Melanie, there is no guarantee that there will be bows and arrows in the arena, but stay away from them for now. It's better for you if the other tributes don't know about your talent." Haymitch tells me and I nod.

"And, Peeta, she's right: never underestimate power when you're in the arena. Very often, a player's advantage depends on physical strength. There will probably be weights in the Training Center, but the plan is the same for you. Use the time to learn something you don't know. Save your strongest skills for individual training." Peeta also agrees with him and so it ends our breakfast.

~•~

I feel nervous about the first practice. I am stressed by the fact that I have to see the other tributes and especially the male tribute from District 2. In the morning I tried not to think about what happened yesterday and decided that it would be best for me not to enter into any relations with him.

Maybe by the time the Games start, he'll have forgotten about me.

This is what I think until we enter the Training Center, the first face I notice is his. The moment we walk in, he turns his head and looks at me locking his eyes in mine for a few seconds.

Fuck.

xoxo.