23.

~•~•~•~𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐠𝐧𝐢𝐳𝐞 𝐦𝐲𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞

~•~•~•~
𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐠𝐧𝐢𝐳𝐞 𝐦𝐲𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞.
~•~•~•~

I can't believe it. I knew it would get to the point where Peeta would die, but I didn't expect it to happen in front of my eyes. That's the boy who used to come with his father to buy my squirrels, I can't believe that he is dead.

Clove runs at me and throws one of her knives but I duck. I shoot the arrow in her direction, but she also manages to land. Then Clove lunges at me, knocking me onto my back and pinning my shoulders with her knees. Even though we are equally heavy I find it hard to push her away from me.

"Where is your other boy? The one that chose you over his District partner." At least, while we're talking, I'll be alive.

"He's waiting for me, don't worry." I pretend that I'm not afraid of her but I know this could be my last few minutes of life.

"Too bad, he'll stay waiting for you but you won't come back." The thought of Cato waiting for me helplessly in that cave scares me more than my impending death. "What's in my backpack for you to come and take it instead of himself?"

I try to pull my hands out of her grip but fail. I remember her knife is still in me and all I need is to free my hand from her. Then I'll stab her in the stomach.

"Stay calm, don't you understand that there is no way to get out? I will kill you just like I killed your other lover." I hear Peeta's still alive by the sobs. It makes me sick that he's in pain instead of dying faster. "Now, where do we start with you?"

She pulls out one of her many knives and starts examining my face. It tilts now to one side, then to the other, and I try to follow its every direction.

"I think, I'll start with these pretty lips that have probably been kissed a while ago." I get angry at her comment and she laughs. "So I'm right, huh? Too bad, Cato kissed a lot of girls before you."

She smugly runs the tip of the knife across my lips and I grit my teeth. Inside, I feel sick from her words, but I try not to show it. I remember that I shouldn't believe everything I'm told, especially if it's from her.

"Yes, I don't think you'll need lips anymore. Let's kill you, just like we killed that little girl. What was her name? Rue? Yes, exactly her."

The mention of Rue enrages me to the point that I spit right in her face and while she is surprised I manage to free my hand from her grip. I grab the knife that is strapped to my belt, and with Clove on top of me, I stab her right in the stomach. She screams in pain and clutches the wound with one hand. I manage to get away from her, but she throws three knives in different directions, one of which manages to cut me above my right eyebrow.

I stagger backward but quickly manage to get up. I pull out an arrow and aim it at Clove. Just then the arrow pierces her heart and the cannon is heard.