Chapter 26

[Lila]

"Do you want to take the top or bottom?" Kyle, my co-worker asks, as we take a moment looking at the task before us.

A new kid's film had been released last week and the screens were taking a hit. Every screening was full, causing us to have an usher assigned in each screen to make sure people sit in their assigned seats. Because that is surprisingly hard for some people to grasp.

Then there is the aftermath in the screens.

As a kid I was taught to bring my rubbish with me out of the cinema. Not these parents and kids though. Popcorn, half eaten hot dogs and nachos trays galore. And the sweets. Bloody hell, there were sweets everywhere. Bags, lollypops, pick'n'mix. It's sticky overload. Most screens are taking two full bags of rubbish. On a normal day one bag could do a few screens.

"You know that sounds like a euphemism. And I'm sorry but I just don't swing your way."

"Darling, you know it's your fine brother that has caught my eye." Kyle says. I didn't get to work with Kyle very often but we bonded straight away. Where in school I was one of only a couple of queer kids, in work I was part of half the workers. There was nearly every iteration of the LGBTQ+ spectrum. It was just a normal aspect of work, nobody cared what you identified as.

I laugh at Kyle's comment. Kyle was Bi and had flirted with Cal a few times, Cal just didn't care and flirted back. They both knew it was harmless. The two of them were just exuberant people.

"I'll take top because we both know you're a bottom." I say, grabbing a bag and starting the climb up the stairs for what feels like the hundredth time today. This is the third time I've cleaned this screen in particular during my shift.

Kyle and I talk to each other across the distance, keeping each other entertained on the job.

"What time do you finish?" Kyle asks.

"Four." I say, chucking an empty popcorn box in my bag as I try to avoid the popcorn strewn across the floor. Really? Could they not keep it in the box at least.

"Lucky bitch, that's in twenty minutes. I'm the assistant close"

I laugh again. "I was the open usher today."

"Details. You got any plans for after work."

"Yeah." I smile. "My girlfriend is meeting me here at the end of my shift."

"Girlfriend? Why didn't I know about any girlfriend?"

I roll my eyes. "It's new and I haven't had many shifts with you lately. Not all of us have jet-setting lives remember." I say in reference to his recent two-week holiday to America.

"Well, I want to meet her." He demands, as we start to sweep the screen now the bulk of the rubbish has been picked up.

Kyle has been working in the cinema for three years now so he will have already met Mic. I'm not telling him that though.

By the time we're finished in that screen I only have about five minutes left. The two of us turn off the cleaning lights with arms full of bags and scoops, then head to back of house. As we make our way back to the foyer, where we can mark that screen as complete, I see Mic and Elsie talking to one of our managers.

"Hey, that's Mic. Since when as she had a kid?" Kyle says, also catching sight of Mic. "Oh, you won't have met Mic, she does mainly seasonal work, and I think you started after the summer."

"We didn't work together but I do know Mic." I say with a smile. "Hey." I say, when we're close enough. Giving Mic a kiss on the lips before moving down to say hello to Elsie in the pushchair.