CHAPTER 3

I was desperately waiting.

After the police came -I did not had many things to say, except for the pickup. A tow truck came. They dump the boys's care next to the entrance of my home. The boot was intact, the front, however was completely destroyed.

I was in the living room. In front of the TV, but it was off. I couldn't focus on a show. I tried reading, but it was worst. I ended doing rhythms with my drum sticks on everything.

I was searching on the internet that 'Joker Out' band Kris had told me. If they have released a few songs I shall find them.

So his name was Kris Guštin. He was part of the group 'Joker Out' and, as he told me, was the guitarist. I learnt the others' names : Jan, Nace, Jure and Bojan.

I was sure I've heard of them, but I didn't know why. Until I found out they participated in Eurovision this year. I only watched the Grand Finale, I did not search or anything else for the singers. Look like they're really famous in Slovenia. But I wonder what they are doing here, in a small place like this, so near from the Belgian border.

My phone rang. I immediately answered.

"Mademoiselle Blum?"

"Yes! It's me!"

"I was asked to contact you when your friends would wake up."

"How are they? Is everything okay?" I asked quickly, my voice was tensed.

"They've been healed, do not worry."

"Can I see them?"

"You may."

"I'll be there in 20 minutes!"

I closed the house and jumped into my car. The hospital was not in my town, so I had a 20-minute ride. The hospital seemed so gigantic. I got nearly lost in the hall. The lady of the office indicated me the rooms. I nearly ran there.

But I stopped in front of the door. It was... a bit awkward. I didn't know them, and they didn't know me. It did not feel right.

But I was still really worried. So I knocked.

I waited a bit. I heard a vague answer.

I slowly opened he door and entered the room. They were all there, I think.

"Uh, Hello" I said. Oh my, that's so awkward.

"Hi," I think that was Bojan, if I remember the research I did.

"I'm Katrina," I awkwardly smiled. "You can call me Kate. Uh, I was the one who got you out the car. Do you feel better? I was really worried!" I exclaimed.

"Thank you for saving us." That must be Nace. (I really don't know how to pronounce his name)

"We're better now," assured Bojan.

I nodded, I was relieved that they were better now. The door opened once again, a nurse entered. She approached Jure's bed. She was speaking to him, explaining things to him about his injuries. He glanced at his friends.

Of course. They don't speak French.

I stepped in front of his bed, live translating what she was saying.

"You need to take care of your injury. You have to change your bandage every day. Make sure that your head is not aching. If you feel nauseous you must call the hospital right away."

The nurse glanced at me.

"Ils ne parlent pas français?" (They don't speak French?) She asked in disbelief.

"Non" (No.) I quickly answered. "Je traduis, ne vous en faites pas." (I'm translating, do not worry about that.)

She removed the drip from Jure's arm, and after went to Nace. I translated again. It was nearly the same thing, they were the less injured of the 5. Then, it was Bojan's turn.

"Your arm is broken." I translated. "Well, your elbow. But they cannot put on a cast, so you need to always keep your splint on. For minimum 3 weeks. You'll need to do further exams at that time. You need to be carful with your other hand too, not broken but might hurt after using it for a long time. For your cut at your forehead, you need to change your plaster everyday."

Bojan nodded at me more than at the nurse, as he was carefully listening to everything I said. I went to Jan. He seemed tired. Well, he seemed to be a mood himself.

"You have a light concussion. You'll certainly have big bruise on the face, but that pretty much it. If you feel bad, you must tell someone quickly."

Jan nodded. He said nothing.

Kris was lying on his bed. He seemed a lot more affected than his friends. The nurse starred at me. I knew she'll tell very specific terms, and well, maybe even gore things. Calm, I needed to stay calm.

"You are the one with the most injuries." Kris did not move, however his blue eyes we fixed into mine. "Y-Your wrist and your knee are broken. They put on a cast, for at least 6 weeks. You'll have bruises pretty much everywhere. And... the blood, well... a piece of window stuck into your chest." I glurped. "They had to remove it. You have 24 stitches. It was not that bad, but it'll maybe hurt, for the next few months." I stopped, waiting for the nurse to speak. "They keep you for the night, to see if everything is right."

"So we can go out?" Asked Nace.

"Yes."

The nurse greeted us, and got out of the big room.

"What do we do now?" Asked Jure, getting up on is feet, stretching.

"We'll find an hotel, not far from here." Stated Bojan, reaching for his phone in his pocket. With only one arm, it was not that easy.

"You'll find nothing here," I said.

"Really?" Asked Jan. He really seemed surprised.

"You've seen where we are? There's not even a cinema in this town. Do not think of a hotel."

"What do you propose, then?"

"You can come home. At least until you find a solution. And all of your luggage are still there, soooo..."

"You're very convincing, Katrina." Bojan smiled.

He got up and went to Kris, and he spoke in a language that I didn't know. It sounded Slavic. And I remembered, it was Slovene. Bojan handed him his phone. They chatted a bit, joined by all of his friends. They patted him, I think they were encouraging him.

"I'll come back as soon as I can," I said in Dutch, when we were leaving.

"I hope so," He answered, a small smile appearing on his lips.