26. Doctor

Raghav was driving his Merc Benz as Shriya sat in silence at the passenger seat looking outside.

Raghav turned on the radio unable to bear the silence and was in a terrible mood as such. The radio jockey kept blabbering about everything under the sky non-stop. Shriya was in Hyderabad after about eight years.  She was here during her schooling when Raghav showed her around on his bike and later along with Sharanya aunty in the outskirts during her first pregnancy.

As they passed along the Necklace road, she involuntarily said "things have changed so much Raghav".

Raghav simply nodded his head in response. Shriya did not have an appetite for breakfast and ate very less which made her hungry.

****************
Two hours ago,
Dining table,
Reddy Mansion
****************
Shriya got all her suitcases in the guest room and she quickly got ready after a soothing bath. The guest room was quite spacious and well equipped. She wasn't sure what to do next and sat on the bed scrolling on her phone.

Sanjana knocked on the door grabbing her attention. Shriya smiled at her and gestured her to take a seat next to her on the bed.

Sanjana sat beside her and awkwardly asked "Ma'am! What would you like to have for the breakfast? I will inform the staff to prepare".

Shriya furrowed her eyebrows and said "Sanjana! You don't have to call me Ma'am. We no longer work in Reuter's law firm".

Sanjana smiled and said "OK! What about breakfast?"

Shriya replied "Sanjana! I usually skip my breakfast. I am not particular. Any smoothie or a fruit will also do. Please donot stress out on my behalf. Can we both have breakfast here please?"

Sanjana replied "Sure! I would love to join you but breakfast is the only time the entire family meets. So its a must to have it on dining table. The only exception is for the kids".

Shriya held Sanjana's hand and said "Thank you! I can't express my gratitude in words for everything you have done for the kids Sanjana".

Sanjana teared up and said "Cookie and Berry are the joy of my life. They fill so many colors in my life and in this boring house. I feel like they are mine. You don't have to thank me at all bhabhi.  Besides, Neeranjana maa and Govardhan papa must be waiting on the table with Raghav bhaiya. So, I think we should hurry up".

Shriya was skeptical to face her in-laws but chose to join Sanjana not to disrespect them. She questioned unsure "What about Lucky, Sanjana?"

Sanjana hesitated to answer and lowered her eyes looking elsewhere saying "He might join us! One can never predict an emergency surgery anyway bhabhi".

Shriya understood there is some tension looking at her eyes and chose not to further probe and cause discomfort to the girl.

They both made their way to the dining room when Raghav caught Shriya's hand in between stopping them. Raghav simply said "Shriya! I spoke to mom and dad last night regarding your stay in this house. You don't have to feel uncomfortable. They will not bring up the past and we can only discuss it when everyone is ready. Please donot take stress on that front".

Sanjana smiled holding Shriya's hand and said "Bhabhi! Bhaiya will make sure you are sound at all points. So why worry?"

Shriya nodded and all of them were seated. Shriya sat beside Raghav and Neeranjana Reddy was seated opposite to them. Govardhan Reddy was seated on the head chair and Sanjana sat beside Neeranjana Reddy.

Govardhan Reddy spoke "Shriya! I saw that children were very disciplined today. All credit goes to you". Shriya simply smiled at his compliment.

Neeranjana Reddy passed her a pickle and said "You must taste this! I guess you will like it". Shriya served herself both pickle and an idly but she couldn't eat much and was uncomfortable to continue her breakfast".

Raghav spoke "Amma and Nanna! Me and Shriya will be leaving. You can continue with your breakfast as we have an early appointment and do not want to be late".

Shriya knew it was a lie as their appointment was later but chose to get up along with him and quickly went to her room.
********************

The car halted and Shriya looked at Raghav. He said "Let's eat something before meeting the doctor". They both ate in silence within the car.

The car was bullet proof and Raghav did not want to risk taking Shriya out in a public place. After having breakfast they headed towards a clinic.

Shriya entered into the two storeyed building which was covered with lush green home plants. It did not feel like a hospital instead looked like a meditative center with tranquility spread all around.

As she reached to a door she was surprised to see the name plate of the doctor. It was written Dr. Dev Sharan in bold. She looked at Raghav passing him a surprised questioning look.

Raghav simple nodded gesturing her to go ahead and said "Bye! Shriya! Have a great day. The driver will pick you after your session".

Shriya felt her heart beat thudding as a distant chapter of the past opened before her. She opened the door hesitantly to look at Dev with spectacles and charming dimpled smile. He asked her to come in and have a seat.

Shriya sat hesitantly. She faked an awkward smile and Dev spoke "Long time Shriya! Actually me and Lucky were in the same medical college. Later,  he became a surgeon and me as you can see advocating mental health awareness".

Shriya nodded and said "I am proud of your achievement Dev! I am sorry Mr.Sharan".

"No! you can call me Dev! Sweety!" he replied smiling again.

Shriya looked here and there when he spoke again "So, here are few forms with questionnaires and its call the DAS test or Depression assessment score. Once I score your answers, I will have an idea as to how to design the treatment".

"Also, remember you can speak about anything to me Shriya. If you are not comfortable at any point. Not just as a doctor but as a friend. For old times sake you see" He spoke in unison.

Shriya replied "Sure! Dev".

********************
At Reddy mansion,
Afternoon
********************

Laxman walked in unaware of Sanjana's presence in the washroom. She was in her bathrobe with wet hair. He looked at her and blood rushed to her cheeks. She looked down turning red.

He walked towards her and handed her a gift pack. She looked at him confused.

He spoke "Please wear this tonight! I have a surprise for you".

Sanjana was flushed and beyond shocked.

He left towards Raghav's room to find him typing away in his laptop.

Laxman questioned "Are you serious anna? Have you lost it? I suggested you Dr.Mohan Vamsi and you bloody sent vadhina to Dev Sharan"?

Raghav replied "Lucky! Dr.Mohan Vamsi is an old man. He has packed schedules. He won't be able to give time to Shriya. Besides , I know Dev will put extra effort to make sure she recovers quickly and that's all I want".

Lucky negatively moved his head and said "You will regret this anna!"

***************
A/N

Here's a new chapter!

Who is Dev?

What will happen now?

Sanjana?

Lucky?

Shriya?

Raghav?

Do share your thoughts.