27. Akshara - The Indestructible Bond.

I was too high to be living on Earth. But I was living on Earth.

I came back home the last night, around 8:00 and my mom asked me, "Where did you sing?"

"Sing? Are you dreaming? Who will listen to my English songs here?"

"Those people who thought you sing well but threw tomatoes later. Why did you leave those expensive tomatoes? Anyway. Wash off the blush you got from your girlfriend."

I smiled because a smile is the best reply. Little did my mom know that it was not blush, but the infectious smile I caught from somebody.

Anyway. Little did I know tomorrow was the 11th of August. And my life would change once more.

I was walking back home from my tuition when I caught a glimpse of a candle burning with its full flame. As I walked closer, details came into my sight. Six boys of my colony were clicking pictures of a moderately tall man dressed in light blue and light blue. His shirt was the colour of the sky in the morning while his jeans were the shade of the noon time sky. You won't understand the difference if you are not a nephophile.

There was no power supply in the entire colony so the street was dark. But amidst the crowd, I understood only one thing. It was 11th August and Akash's birthday. His friends were celebrating his birthday the old-school style. Cake cutting on his bike and then party in a hotel. As I crossed the place where the celebration was, I felt somebody call my name. There were at least 20 people now and I was waiting to hear that voice. That voice poured like honey in warm water. That voice which sounded as calm as the temple bell, resonated in my ears.

And then I did not hear any voices, but I felt a warm hand on my skin. I turned back to look into the cool blue eyes of the sky. Akash Chandravanshi.

"Bittu bhaiya. Happy birthday." I tried being formal but he was least interested.

"Do you want to go to a place?"

"It looks like it is going to rain."

"Are you afraid of getting wet?"

"I am WITH the entire sky. Rain drops fall on his command."

"Ten minutes. I will be there. Get ready."

"I am ready. In case you did not know I am coming from my tuition."

"I know. 2nd house in front of the BCCL office, beside the Electronics shop whose electrician came to repair your exhaust fan on 25th July. I know more than you think. 7:45. I will talk to your mom."

Having said this, he planted a soft kiss on my cheek in the dark. And then went to those friends and neighbours I was oblivious towards. I was too bewildered to think of anything. It took me a minute to process things before pacing towards my house.

I wore my shorts and brown and navy blue checked shirt which he loved and I came out. There was no one in the colony now. I craned my neck towards the road anticipating. I checked the watch and then again when the thunder of his Splendor tore the silence. There he came zooming past the normal mortals, like a hero on his bike saving the heroine. But there was no heroine here. But a barren land waiting for the first rain.

"Sit." I climbed on. There were mixed feelings that were floating like clouds.

His smell. He smelled like Earth after the first rain. He smelled like water mixed with nectar. Like a flower has just bloomed and dew drops fell on them. Like hydrangeas are calling the bees to come and sanctify them with their touch. His face was calm and smiling. He smiled a lot. His beard was untouched. It was well-trimmed and dense. Dense enough to hide all of my insecurities there. His eyes were calm and quiet. But I had seen them as violent as the thunder when anyone dared to touch things that were his. His lips were slender and perfect. His body was not muscular but lean without being malnourished. Holding him felt like holding a star burning in the sky. How incredible it is! To hold the sky. The sky that looks down at the world and is the beacon of light. No one prays for it. They pray to the sun, the moon, the rain and clouds too. But the sky is everything. Humble and selfless. And to be loved by the sky felt like being loved by something universal but personal.