Chapter 40

*Fire's pov*
Air's breathing still hadn't calmed down while your pulse was still very high. You didn't know what to do or how to help Air at the moment. All the time you were just trying to calm her down.

"F-Fire..." her voice was already much stronger than before, as you looked down at her. "Yes, it's me! Your man! It's gonna be okay!" you tried to say quickly, feeling like she was finally getting a chosen one again.

"You need to... pull..." she tried to open her eyes and looked you in the eye. "this knife... out..." just saying that made her feel intense pain again, making her close her eyes again and want to curl up more. "N-no... that... I-I... can't..." immediately you turned pale as Air really wanted you to remove that knife.

"Fire... please..." her voice was so direct that you couldn't disagree. "Ok... on three..." you took a deep breath as you slowly moved your hand towards the knife. Your hand started to shake as your fingertips were already touching the handle.

"1..." you looked at her face one last time before turning your gaze to the knife.

"2..." you didn't want to believe it.

"3..." without hesitation, you grabbed the knife and pulled it straight out of Air.

Air's scream echoed through the forest as you looked fixedly at the long blade and almost fainted at its length.

You put the knife beside you as you turned back to Air. She was still screaming and burying her head in your stomach as she furiously slammed her hand on the floor, hoping to get rid of the pain.

"Hey...it's okay...it's going to be okay...the worst is over." you tried to stay positive, but when you looked next to you and there was a huge puddle of blood again, it was hard to stay positive.

You put your hand where the knife had just been and tried to stop the bleeding somehow. Your hand was quickly dyed in her blood as the blood still wouldn't stop running.

Again, you panicked that Air was dying before your eyes, which already brought tears to your eyes.

"Please Air...you can't go...please." Tears ran down your cheeks as Air showed less and less emotion and her aura began to flicker and become more and more transparent. You had her in your arms and pressed her close to you as your hand still rested on her stomach.

"Air!" you scream in complete pain as you looked up into the sky. You couldn't look at her. It was your fault. You listened to her words and pulled out the knife.

Tears came continuously from your eyes and ran down your face before falling on Air. Again you screamed into the night when silence overcame you and only your tears could be heard falling.

You looked at Air even if m you didn't want to. "I'm so sorry Air." you said as you put your hand, which was just at her belly, to her cheek and caressed it gently. You smeared her cheek with her own blood as still your tears landed on it. She looked so peaceful, as if she had only closed her eyes.

"Can't you please just open your eyes?" your heart broke as you placed her closer to your body. Firmly you held that motionless body in your arms.

Again you sat there crying and stroking her head. Your silent crying turned into loud sobs as your body began to ache.

"It was all my fault..." you mumbled as the tears on your face made it difficult to speak. Once again it became so quiet that you could listen to your heart beating. It was always beating in the same rhythm when there was something strange between the beats. Every now and then there was a soft different pumping. It was weak and not very strong.

You winced as Air suddenly started coughing. Your pulse immediately started to rise as you carefully laid her flat on the floor. She was coughing all the time as if she couldn't breathe, so you accidentally ripped her blouse to make more room around her torso.

You looked at the wound on her stomach, which was looking less and less bad and starting to heal. A huge smile came to your face as your tears were tears of joy. You didn't even know where to look. You wanted to look at Air's face as it became more lively again. At the same time, you wanted to look at her belly and see how her wound was healing.

Every second that passed was always a second where she became stronger and felt less pain. Crying and completely exhausted, you knelt in front of Air and were just glad that she was awake again. Without saying anything at all, you put her upper body back on your lap as you both looked deeply into each other's eyes.

"What happened?" was the first thing she said, bringing tears to your eyes again. Would you have thought 10 minutes ago that you would ever hear her voice again?

"Someone stabbed you in the stomach..." you said coldly. "Where am I?" "I tried to save you from the situation and quickly ran back to earth with you. Since your place was just closer than the church, I ran there. Now we're here." Air broke your eye contact and looked around. She still lacked a little orientation.

She then asked you a few other questions as you tried as best you could not to tell her that you had turned for the first time as a chosen one. At some point she didn't say anything as she tried to close her eyes a little from tiredness while you gently stroked her cheek. You had to refrain from letting your tears fall on Air.

"Thank you." she opened her eyes all at once as she tried to smile a little. This made the grin you had on your lips the whole time even bigger. "Shall we go back?" you asked yourself, as you were totally tired yourself and didn't really feel like going home in the dark.