Chapter 2

The finely gilded carriage, pulled by a matched set of Lincolnshire Blacks, pulled up the long gravel drive. Manicured lawns surrounded the Jacobean home, carefully maintained by an army of gardeners that lived in the pack town nearby.

The carriage came to a halt outside of the large estate. Caleb Remington stepped out and headed confidently up the wide stairs.

Caleb's Beta, Roland and his Gamma, Ragnar flanked him as he moved through the grand entrance. He paid no attention to the opulence surrounding him. Jacob Graves was wealthy and he liked to show it off.

A footman escorted them all to the ballroom. Caleb hated events like this. The crush inside was ridiculous in his opinion. The guests were mostly werewolves with a handful of humans mixed in.

They all stopped at the top of the staircase, and the herald announced them.

"His Royal Highness, Caleb Remington, Alpha of the Regal Eclipse pack and the Alpha King."

Caleb' s powerful aura brought the room to an abrupt halt. The crowd bowed their heads.

"Roland Seely, Beta of the Regal Eclipse pack, and council to the Alpha King. Ragnar Asgrim, Gamma of the Regal Eclipse pack, and council to the Alpha King."

The three began their descent down the marble grand staircase into the ballroom. The crowd parted, heads still bowed, and Caleb walked by them all, ignoring them.

He hated mingling in events like this. Vulture-like mamas wanted to snatch him up for their daughters. Everyone knew the Alpha King was mateless and so were his companions, and they all wanted to remedy that problem.

Prospecting parents would like nothing better than for their daughter to be the Luna Queen and bear the next Alpha King. Roland and Ragnar could have their fun, but Caleb was bored, and just wanted his fated mate.

Alpha Jacob moved towards them. He stopped, bowing his head. "Alpha, Beta, Gamma." He bowed to each in turn. "Welcome to my humble home. Please, come this way."

Caleb moved past Jacob's outstretched hand and over towards the chair that Jacob had displayed on the far side of the room. He sat down, and surveyed the crowd. "Continue," he said, and the dancing resumed.

Jacob approached him again a moment later with a beautiful woman on his arm. Brown hair and green eyes, she had a slim figure and wore an elaborate green gown.

"Alpha, I believe you have met my Luna and Countess, Isola," Jacob introduced her.

She bowed gracefully. "Alpha. Thank you for gracing our home with your presence." She demurred.

"It's a pleasure to see you Isola. Thank you for inviting me," Caleb smiled at her.

"Others wish an audience with you as well," Jacob said, as another Alpha approached.

Caleb nodded. Another reason to hate these kinds of events.

For the next hour, Caleb met more people than he would ever remember. Everyone wished to meet the Alpha King, and petition for an audience. He waved them on, letting Roland and Ragnar take care of business.

His wolf, bored with the entire evening, suddenly perked up, and his tail started wagging.

"Ahh! My daughter!" Jacob said, nearby.

The scent of roses wafted across the room. Caleb's senses went into overdrive. His gaze moved to the top of the grand staircase. There stood the most beautiful creature he had ever seen.

"Lady Sofia Graves, daughter of Alpha Jacob Graves, Earl of Edmonton and Luna Isola Graves, Countess of Edmonton and of the Northumbria pack," the herald announced.