Chapter 17

Roland hated leaving Penny alone but he didn't have a choice. Why did he have to find his mate so close to the Summit? He just wanted to spend all of his time with her.  Though he supposed Penny would have plenty of time to grow accustomed to her new life since he wouldn't have much time with her.

He left his room, mind linking Caleb. I've returned.

I heard you found your mate.

Well that didn't take long. I have.

Just don't let her distract you from your responsibilities, came the sour reply.

Roland sighed. Yes Alpha.

It took Caleb several more moments to reply. Congratulations. I am happy for you. It's late. We can meet tomorrow. I'm sure you're both tired from your travels.

Alright. I'll see you in the morning. Roland stopped in Caleb's study, dropping off a satchel, then headed out to the pack bath house to wash off the dust and dirt. He avoided his own since he knew there was a chance he'd run into Penny and he knew she definitely was NOT ready for that.

The pack bath house was much larger than the one he shared with Ragnar, with multiple rooms. He chose one that was empty and bathed quickly.

Once he finished, he dressed in some spare clothes and headed to the kitchen to grab some food for both himself and Penny.

Brianna, the head housekeeper spotted him almost immediately. "Roland! I heard you've returned with your mate. Is it true?"

"Yes. She's human, Bri and been through so much so don't expect to see much of her until after the Summit," Roland told her, grabbing some bread.

Brianna laughed. "This Summit might be the death of me."

"Perhaps, but you've done such a wonderful job with it already," Roland told her. "I'm heading back to my mate, so don't bother me unless it's necessary until morning."

"No problem, Beta. See you then. If you want breakfast brought up, let me know," Brianna called after him.

You're a wonder, Bri, he linked her as he headed back to him room, tray in hand.  Is Penny back in my room?  he linked Lillian next.

She is. Are you headed back?

I will be there shortly.

I'll take my leave then, Lillian responded.

He arrived in his room a few minutes later to find Penny settled in a chair near the fire. She was wearing a gold dressing gown and looked beautiful like always. She turned to him and smiled, happy he'd returned.

"How are you feeling?" He sat the tray down on the table.

Penny stood and walked over to him, and gave him a hug, surprising him. "Better. I love the bath house. I'm a little overwhelmed though."

"Well, at least we're done traveling and we won't be sleeping on the hard ground tonight."

They both settled down to eat at the table.

"This food is wonderful," Penny said as she sampled more of the bread.

"We do have a good cook," Roland agreed.

Once they had finished, he moved the dishes aside and pulled some documents out of his bag. "These are the papers I received when I purchased you," he said, showing them to her. "Papers of ownership."

Penny looked down at them quietly. That paper was her life, easily transferred from one person to another.

"I want you to take a good look at them and know that they are what I told you they are," Roland told her, looking her over. She was so beautiful tonight. She had her hair down and brushed out. He really loved it that way.