Chapter 40

Charlotte stood. "Come," she said to Caleb and he stood as well and followed her into her bedroom. She laid down on the bed. "Lie with me. This isn't going to be easy."

He nodded and settled down beside her, knowing this may possibly be the last time he was in her bed. His fate was now in her hands. His heart ached. He finally could admit to himself that he was in love with her. And with one simple phrase, Charlotte could shatter him.

Charlotte began to tell him about her previous life, how she had been a Baron's daughter, her family, her relationship with Penny. She told him how she enjoyed reading and educating herself. She spoke of meeting the Earl and their correspondence and his proposal.

"Were you in love with him?" Caleb asked her, his body tense.

"No. I cared about him, but I was never in love with him. Looking back, that's probably one good thing that came from all of this," Charlotte said.

She felt Caleb stiffen at her words, and knew her off handed comment had hurt him.

She told him about Jamaica, and the excitement of preparing for the trip, and then the journey to sea. "It was smooth sailing until we were attacked by pirates."

"Oh Charlotte." Caleb could see where this was headed. "They took you, didn't they?"

She nodded and he looked over, seeing her tears. "My mother convinced them to take Penny as well. They took us to their ship and put us in a room and that was the first time I was..."

Caleb tentatively took her hand, not sure if she would welcome his touch but she immediately grabbed at his like her life depended on it.

She took a steadying breath. "That was the first time they touched me to see if I was a virgin."

Caleb sucked in a breath at her words, anger building in him at how humiliated and scared she must have felt. To think he had done the same to her. He suddenly felt very ashamed of himself.

"After, they left us alone, locking us in the room and that's when," she stopped and gasped, and started crying.

Caleb pulled her against him and she burried her head in his chest as he held her and let her sob.

Finally, she was able to speak again. "Penny saw the ship my parents were on across the water on fire," she whispered.

Caleb felt his heart drop at her words. Her family had been on that ship and she'd watched it burn, unable to do anything about it. "Your nightmares?"

She nodded against him. Rain remained silent in Charlotte's head, offering as much comfort as she could as she listened to Charlotte relive it all through her memories. She hated that Charlotte had to do this, but it was important for Caleb to know, to understand her.

Caleb let her cry, holding her tight, offering as much comfort as he could. He hadn't realized that on top of the way he had been treating her, she'd been mourning her family. To have them all ripped from her at one time, to have everything ripped away.. it had to have been devastating.

Charlotte was quiet for a long time. She was glad Caleb was patient with her. This was so difficult. Finally, she was ready to continue. "I think we were at sea for another two weeks, but I'm not sure. The days blended together. Penny kept me sane after that. I was so glad my mother made the pirates take her. It saved her life."

She told him about the pirates selling her to the slaver. "That was the second time I was .. to see if I was still a virgin. It was more embarrassing that time, as there were more people in the room." She shuddered.

"We were in that room for a long time. They brought in clothes for us to change into. The brought me a dressing gown that was very sheer. Not long after that, Alpha Aydan came in to the room to look at me." She stopped.