Chapter 42

Caleb slipped up to his room not long after Charlotte had left. He'd been disappointed that she wanted to be alone but he'd let her go. He'd seen her stifle a few yawns during dinner. He had a feeling she was both physically and mentally exhausted.

He felt like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders after finally accepting her. It was like his world had become brighter. The only thing hanging over him now was whether or not she would reject him.

He crawled into his own bed, a place he hadn't slept in quite some time. He missed being in her bed but without an invitation he wouldn't dare to presume. His only concern was her nightmares. Knowing why she had them now broke his heart. This entire time she's been mourning the loss of her family. He was familiar with loss and how all consuming it could be

Caleb also missed making love to her. He hadn't touched her intimately in several days and even now he was aroused just thinking about her. His thoughts went back to the first time he'd laid eyes on her. If he'd had any sense, he should have claimed her that first night, mated and marked her.

She'd been so perfectly beautiful as she'd stood there before him. A gift of a lifetime, and it had taken him a long time to fully appreciate it. He thought of the first time he'd mated her and every time after that. His gums had ached each and every time with the need to mark her. But that was something he would never do without her permission, even before he'd realized what an idiot he was being.

Now though, he wanted to mate her and mark her at the same time she marked him. If she'd have him. He shifted uncomfortably at how aroused he'd become and sighed. Who knew how long it would be before he bedded Charlotte again, if he ever did.

'Mate will come back to us,' Storm said quietly.

'I hope you're right, Storm. And while I'm at it, I should apologize to you too. I'm sorry for being so difficult. You were right about everything, and I hope it's not too late,' Caleb sighed again. He'd never apologized so much in his life. He needed to get over himself.

'Mate is coming now,' Storm said, his ears pricked forward.

A knock sounded on his closet door and Caleb looked up startled. He pulled the blankets over his waist. "Come in."

Charlotte opened the door. "I'm sorry to bother you." She had tears running down her cheeks.

"Nightmare?" He asked her. He could see her shaking.

She nodded, and brushed at some tears

"Come here, love." Caleb opened his arms to her and Charlotte walked across the room and crawled into his lap. He held her close as she sobbed.

"I'm sorry I didn't come to you tonight. I wasn't sure how you would feel if I did," he said after a while

"It's okay. I'll be okay. Some of my nightmares are just so real. I mean I know they're not real but they feel real. I always feel so helpless. Why Caleb? Why did this have to happen to me?" she cried.

He didn't have an answer for her. All he could do was offer her comfort and peace through the mate bond.

She was quiet for a while, just letting him hold her. His touch always calmed her. "Did I wake you?" she finally asked him.

"No I was just laying here thinking."

"About?"

"Mostly you. About the first time I laid eyes on you. How beautiful you were. And if I had had any sense I should have mated and marked you that same day," he mused.

"Life can be full of regret, Caleb," Charlotte said softly.

"Do you regret meeting me?"

"No. I don't. There are things I do regret. Sometimes I wish I had fought harder to stay with my family. I regret accepting the Earl's proposal. In my darkest moments, I regret not dying with my parents on that ship. But all of that brought me here," she said.