Chapter 31

Charlotte sat staring out her window. It was a perfect day, but she was stuck inside. She felt like a prisoner. She supposed she was one, not free to come and go as she pleased, she was restricted to certain areas of the castle and never allowed outside without an escort. She'd never been more aware of her status than she was at that moment.

Mid-afternoon, Charlotte decided to go down to the bath house. She was bored of reading and needed a break. She quickly changed into her dressing gown and headed down.

She opened the door and slipped in, then grabbed a towel and walked over to the tub. Charlotte stopped dead in her tracks at the sight in front of her.

Caleb's parents were in the tub together, his mother straddling his father. They both looked at her in surprise and she quickly turned around, her face on fire.

"Forgive me!" She called as she hurried out of the bath house and back up to her room.

***

Melinda Remington stared after the girl, watching her flee, then turned back to her mate. "Who in the world was that?"

Ranald shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not sure, but I did see her in the dining hall."

"Why was she here though?" Melinda pondered.

Ranald studied his mate quietly, his hands resting on her hips. Even after being together for almost a thousand years, he still couldn't get enough of her.

"This is the Alpha King's bath house, which means only Caleb should have access to it," she explained.

"You think he knows she uses it?" Ranald asked.

"I'd be surprised if he didn't," Melinda mused.

"He was watching her all through breakfast," Ranald told her.

She stilled at this and wrinkled her forehead in thought. "Come to think of it, he's been in a much better frame of mind than he was even on my last visit.*

"Do you think...?" Ranald lifted an eyebrow at her.

"It's the only thing that makes sense," Melinda agreed. "But why hasn't he told us?"

"Think about it. She wasn't at our table this morning. Have you seen him with her at all?" Ranald asked her.

"No. I didn't even notice her before," she said softly. "She's quite beautiful."

"I wonder how in the world she even ended up here." Ranald pulled Melinda closer, kissing her neck.

"Who knows. But if she's his second chance, he'd better claim her soon." Melinda smiled at him, kissing him back.

***

Charlotte had never been so embarrassed in her life. She'd never expected to find them in the bath house, let alone in the compromising position they were in. She groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose.

Now they were aware of her, and she'd been in a place that was only used by the Alpha King. What must they think? That she was Caleb's whore? She supposed she was. Something she never thought she would ever be.

She laid on her bed, staring at the ceiling for a long time. Why had this happened to her? If the Earl had never asked for her hand, they would have never boarded that ship to Jamaica. Charlotte would still be at her home, and her family would still be alive. She could marry someone that lived in England.

Instead she was reduced to this. A slave to the Alpha King, never to find love or true happiness. He would bed her until he grew tired of her, and then what? She'd be tossed to the side. Used up and discarded. She brushed a tear away. Sooner or later, she was going to have to get used to all of this.