Chapter 21

Brianna mind linked Caleb the minute she left Charlotte. I have the information you requested, Alpha

I'm still in the library.

She arrived a few minutes later. Caleb hadn't moved. He looked up. "Is she settled?"

"Yes, Alpha."

"What did you learn?"

"She has no family. No one to return back to. She is a Baron's daughter. She was betrothed to an Earl, but she knows he will never accept her now."

Caleb felt a stab of jealousy towards the unknown man. Storm growled in his mind. "What happened to her family?"

"Respectfully, that is her story to tell, Alpha, " Brianna bowed her head.

Caleb frowned, but Brianna was right. "Thank you."

She nodded and left the room.

That evening, he paced his bedroom again, at war in his mind with his wolf and himself.

Storm desperately wanted him to mate her, mark her, and claim her as his. He could announce his new Luna Queen before the end of the Summit. His heart agreed.

But his head said NO! If nothing else, Caleb needed to protect her. He didn't want a new Luna Queen, or a new mate. His wolf growled at him.

Caleb moved over to the window and stared out into the forest surrounding his home. But he didn't see the forest. Instead, he saw Charlotte standing before him, naked.

Caleb knew she had felt the mate bond. She wouldn't know what it was, but her body knew and had responded to him before he had even touched her. And her scent.. he could smell it even now, seeping beneath the closet door.

He walked over to the closet and opened the door. Her scent enveloped him, and he stepped inside, and began to undress himself, as he walked towards her door. He stopped, listening, then he slowly opened the door.

The room was dark, but his enhanced senses could easily see her laying on the bed. Her scent practically bowled him over, intoxicating and calling to his wolf. Her breathing was even, and he knew she was asleep.

Caleb approached the bed and stared down at her. She was so beautiful. She lay on her side, her cheek resting on her hand. He stared for a while longer, then moved over to the window seat, and sat down. He remained there guarding his mate. When the sky began to lighten, he slipped out of her room and back into his own.

***

The next week passed quietly for Charlotte as the castle returned to normal. She never left the room except to enjoy the Alpha's Bath house, which she found incredibly delightful. Her meals were always brought up to her.

The tile of the large sunken tub was done in some of the most beautiful colors Charlotte had ever seen. The shades of blue made the water look very blue and inviting. A long cushion was attached to the wall above the water to rest one's head upon.

But Charlotte's favorite part was the glass ceiling. She had never seen anything like it, and knew it must have cost a fortune. She enjoyed sitting in the bath, looking up at the sky. She could imagine it would be even better at night.

Charlotte had yet to see the Alpha King again. She assumed he was busy with his guests. Unbeknownst to her, he came into her room every night and watched over her while she slept. Caleb couldn't help himself. He told Storm it was to soothe him, but deep down, he knew it was for the both of them.

***

"Well, the last guest has finally left," Roland said, plopping down in a chair across from Caleb.