Chapter 6

"Beta Roland! My good friend!"

"Ali, it's good to see you." Roland smiled at the man in front of him in greeting, before following him inside of his home. He'd known Ali for several years. Ali was a member of the Dark Crescent Pack and was their money man. "How is Dark Crescent?"

Roland sat down at the rough-hewn table. While the pack was located out in the desert, Ali maintained a business in the city, and Roland knew Ali would be able to get him the money he needed very quickly.

"The pack is good. Small problems with marauding rogues, but nothing the Alpha can't handle. But you and I both know that's not what you are here for. So, Beta, what can I do for you?" Ali was seated across from him, hands folded neatly in front of him, as he waited expectantly.

Roland smiled at the she-wolf, who walked into the room and sat refreshments in front of him. She curtsied, then left the room.

He turned his attention back to Ali. "I need to borrow some money."

Ali's eyes lit up. "How much?"

Roland named the sum.

The wolf's eyes brightened with excitement and Roland groaned at Neo. 'He's going to make this difficult, isn't he?' He knew he was asking for a lot of money, and that Ali knew he was good for it. He just didn't carry that much around with him. Ali was never one to turn down a loan, especially if he could find a way to make a nice profit.

'Make him cooperate. We don't have much time,' Neo growled.

"That's quite a sum, Beta," Ali said, lifting his own cup to his lips, excitement radiating off the man.

"You know I'm good for it. An urgent, unexpected matter has arisen," Roland said quietly, staring at the other wolf.

Ali looked down uncomfortably for a moment, then looked back up. "How long should I expect before repayment?"

Roland grimaced in frustration. He knew he was a week's travel from home, especially if he had his mate with him. If he rode alone, he could probably return in less time. "Three weeks, though if you're going to be at the Summit, I could return it to you then."

Ali was quiet for a moment, then nodded. "I'm not aware if I will be present at the Summit yet, but I will loan you the money, at a rate of forty percent due in three weeks time."

'What?' Neo roared in his head. 'Is this scraggly pup insane? Let me talk to him.'

Roland allowed his wolf to take over, as his patience was quickly waning. The last thing he needed was for his mate to be sold to someone else. Neo immediately released his aura, practically suffocating the other wolf. "Would you like to repeat that?"

"Two percent interest and six months for repayment," Ali squeaked. He was no longer seated at the table but down on his knees on the floor, his own wolf mentally cursing him for being greedy.

Neo receded to the back of Roland's mind, giving him back control.

"Your terms are acceptable."

Ali breathed a small sigh of relief when he could breathe again. He'd never in his life felt that kind of power, and hoped to never feel it again. He shakily got to his feet, bowing his head in submission. "It will take me a bit of time to gather the funds, as it is such a large sum, Beta, but I will do so as quickly as possible. I will have Anna bring you in some more refreshments while you wait."

Roland nodded and watched the wolf scurry out.

***

Time passed, though no one returned to the room the ladies were being held in. Charlotte wondered if they had forgotten about them. Had the captain left? More than likely. He would probably unload his cargo here, then head back out to sea to find another unsuspecting ship to rob, and girl to kidnap. Good riddance.

She sighed. She was so exhausted from all of this.. the unknown, not knowing what her fate was going to be.

The door suddenly flew open, and Baki entered. He had a garment of sorts thrown over his arm. A servant followed behind with a large bowl of water and soft white towels. Another carried a tray with several pots and combs and brushes on it.

Baki directed the servants to set the items upon the table in the center of the room, then he turned towards the girls. He stepped forward and grabbed Charlotte's chin lightly turning her face to look at her bruises. He sighed. "Lord Aydan will be here shortly. Clean up and put these on," he gestured towards the table, then glanced at Penny. "Help her, then do the same for yourself. Do not put any of your old garments back on. Your clothes are disgusting. " He turned around and left the room, the two servants behind him.

Charlotte looked at Penny who nodded. "It will be good to be clean and in fresh clothes."

Charlotte sighed. "You're right. Help me and I will help you."

The girls quickly stripped Charlotte's clothes off and began to wash her. Soap had been provided, and once they were finished, Penny picked up the more elaborate of the two garments and held it up.

Charlotte frowned as she looked at it. It was a dressing gown of sorts in a light blue sheer material with gold embroidered on the sleeves, hem and around the opening in the front. No undergarments were to be found. Penny helped her into the dressing gown, and Charlotte tied the belt around her waist, pulling it closed. She still felt naked. The gown was practically see-through and left little to the imagination. She was supposed to meet Lord Aydan dressed like this? Penny quickly pinned her hair up.

Charlotte helped Penny bathe and dress. Penny had a simple skirt and white blouse. She pulled her long brown hair up into a bun, pinning it in place.

A few moments later, the door opened again and Baki entered with his two servants. He inspected both girls carefully. Charlotte cringed, knowing her body was much too visible beneath the sheer fabric. She folded her arms across her chest to cover her breasts from his view. Not that he seemed to care. He was more focused on her hair and to her dismay, he ordered Penny to take the pins out and to comb it, letting it fall softly down her back. Charlotte blushed in embarrassment. She should only be seen like this in the privacy of her bed chambers at home, not when meeting a stranger. She wasn't even sure why they were meeting him.

"When Lord Aydan arrives, you will obey every order I give you. If you do not, I will make you pay. I have ways of punishing you that will not leave a mark. You will not cover yourself either," Baki glared at Charlotte for a moment, then left the room. His servants took the bowl, tray and the girl's old, dirty clothes and followed him out.

Charlotte shivered as she watched him go, panic welling up inside of her. She didn't want to be punished, and she didn't want anything to happen to Penny either. She would suffer through what she must to protect them both, even if it meant that this Lord Aydan would be looking at her body. What if he was coming here to bed her?

Another hour passed, and Charlotte paced the floor, feeling sick to her stomach at what was about to happen to her. She heard her stomach growl and wondered if they were to be fed. She hadn't eaten since early that morning.

The door finally opened again, and Baki entered with a man dressed in expensive garments.