Chapter 27

Charlotte walked back over to the window seat, and sat down, picked up her book and read for a bit, before she dozed off again.

When she woke, it was dark and she realized she'd missed dinner. She sighed as she got up and decided to wander down to the kitchen anyway, but was surprised to find a tray of food on the table in her sitting room.

Charlotte sat down to eat, wondering who had brought it up. Brianna probably, maybe Ragnar. Definitely not Caleb. She finished quickly and debated on whether she wanted to venture down to the bath house. She had planned to go after dinner, so she could watch the sunset, but she'd missed that opportunity.

She walked back in her room and began to undress, then slipped on a dressing gown and piled her blond locks on top of her head. Then she began the trek down to the bath house.

At the bottom of the steps, she opened the door, and was immediately hit with the humidity that was produced. She pulled the door closed behind her, and grabbed a towel, then walked over to the tub, untying the belt of her dressing gown.

She stopped when she saw Caleb in the water, his head resting against a pillow, his eyes closed. She wondered if she'd be able to sneak out without bothering him and began to take slow steps backwards.

"What are you doing here, Charlotte?" he asked, not opening his eyes. Caleb had known the moment she'd entered the bath house, her scent permeating the air. He generally came down this late because he usually didn't have time earlier and he knew she wouldn't be here.

"I..." she stopped and took a deep breath. Why was she so intimidated by him? This wasn't like her. She lifted her chin. "I came down to bathe."

"This late? You weren't at dinner." He still hadn't moved. He'd noticed immediately that she'd been missing and had a tray sent up to her. The kitchen girl had told him Charlotte had been asleep.

"I fell asleep. I meant to come after dinner but ..." She stopped. "I'll leave."

"No, don't let me stop you. Go ahead and get in," Caleb said, and waited for her to balk at the idea.

Charlotte's mouth fell open as she looked at him. He wanted her to bathe with him? Well, it wasn't as if there wasn't enough room in the bath for twenty people, but it was still rather intimate. You've literally been naked in front of him more times than not. She tightened her jaw. Why did she feel like she was being tested? But she was supposed to be a companion to him, and so far all she had done was make him mad. She'd try not to tonight. And she now had the opportunity to thank him for freeing her from the prison that was her bedroom.

Charlotte tossed down the towel and slipped off her dressing gown, dropping it at her feet. She stood for a moment, relishing in the warmth from the room. Never in her life had she thought to be naked so much in front of a man and not be completely uncomfortable, but she wasn't with Caleb. Though now, he still hadn't looked at her.

She remembered his words from yesterday. I prefer you naked. He'd also threatened to take her entire wardrobe from her. The nerve of the man. But she supposed he could do it. She was nothing to him, and leaving her with no clothes would probably amuse him.

Charlotte walked down the steps into the tub and sat down on the opposite side from him, a little further down. When he still didn't open his eyes, she leaned her head back so she could look at the sky.

It was completely dark, and the moon was visible, along with the stars. She remembered nights that her father had taken her out to view the stars. They'd sat in companionable silence staring up at the sky. Charlotte felt a tear escape.

Caleb was surprised she'd agreed, but he knew she'd waged an internal battle first. He wasn't surprised that she had decided to get in. He was though, that she'd stood there for a moment naked. He'd purposely kept his eyes closed to make her feel comfortable enough to get in, though it had been very difficult not to stare. He could spend the entire day staring at her naked body.