Chapter 19

Charlotte reclined on her bed, reading her book. She had stayed in her room as much as possible, but was bored in the tiny room. Each time Charlotte had left her room, her head had been on a swivel. Besides the people from all over the world, the castle itself begged to be explored. Charlotte was curious by nature, and she longed to spend days wandering the halls. She reminded herself that this was to be her home, and she would eventually have the opportunity for a tour.

There was a knock at the door, she sat her book down, and stood, smoothing out her skirts. She opened the door to find Alpha Aydan on the other side. "Charlotte? It's time," he said quietly.

Charlotte felt her heart stop. The moment she had been dreading was finally here. Aydan was preparing to return home, and he would have a last moment audience with the Alpha King, where he would present Charlotte to him. "Am I presentable?"

He stepped forward, and held out a fur lined blue cloak towards her. The color matched her eyes. "You will wear this. Only this."

She took the cloak from him, expecting to find more with it, but there was nothing else. She looked up at him with a frown. He couldn't expect her to wear only this!

"You're a concubine, Charlotte, and you will be presented to the Alpha King as such," he explained, his steely gaze meeting hers.

Panic set in as she stared at him in shock. "Please don't make me do this." she whispered.

"It will be just us in the room. You must do this. You need to remain calm and not cover yourself. You can do this," he said, quietly.

NO! "Yes Alpha," she whispered, feeling defeated. As much as she wanted to argue with him, she knew it would do her no good. She also needed to make a good impression with the king.

Aydan saw the tears in her eyes as she bowed her head and guilt coursed through him. If it wasn't for the fact that he had found his mate a few days ago, he would seriously consider taking her back home with him, but that was impossible. She deserved more than this. "I'll be waiting in the hall." He turned on his heel and left the room.

***

Caleb walked down the hall towards the room where he met with the departing Alphas. It was a small room, comfortable and perfect for one on one meetings. Occasionally he was stopped on his way, as someone would wish to speak with him, but he kept it short, explaining that he was late to a meeting.

As he neared the room, he felt his wolf, Storm, perk up for the first time in a very long time. His wolf had taken the loss of his mate very hard as well, and receded to the back of Caleb's mind, leaving him feeling even more alone. Storm took very little interest in much of anything anymore.

The smell of lilacs drifted under his nose, and Caleb breathed it in. It smelled amazing. And the smell was coming from the room he was headed to. He stopped in front of the door, and took a deep breath before opening it.

Alpha Aydan was standing there, waiting and he wasn't alone. A figure stood in the back of the room, cloaked and concealed from Caleb's view. The scent was coming from the cloaked figure.

'What's going on?' he asked Storm, feeling confused. He had never smelled anything so intoxicating since Sofia.

Storm pushed him to go over and remove the hood of the cloak, but Caleb forced Storm back, surprised at his wolf's actions. Even in wolf form, Storm never wanted to take control anymore.

Caleb could be patient. He turned his full attention to Alpha Aydan. "Aydan, my good friend, leaving so soon?" He forced out a smile.

Charlotte stood quietly in the back of the small room wanting to sink into the floor. Never in her life had she thought to be presented before two different men naked. Never had she thought she would be reduced to her current position either.