Chapter 22

Ragnar neared the top of the steps in the South tower the next afternoon. He knocked on the door to the left.

A pretty blond opened the door a moment later. "Yes?"

"Are you Charlotte?" He asked, his gaze moving quickly over her.

"I am," she smiled shyly at Ragnar.

She was quite a pretty little thing, he thought, smiling back at her. "Ragnar, pack Gamma," he bowed to her.

Charlotte blushed. Every single one of these werewolves was good looking. This Ragnar had long blond hair, and was clean shaven. He was tall and muscular just like Caleb and Alpha Aydan. His piercing blue eyes glanced over her quickly. "What can I do for you, Ragnar, Pack Gamma?"

"I have been appointed with the task of making sure you get outside daily while the weather's nice," Ragnar was surprised at how beautiful this woman was. If Caleb didn't want her, he'd take her in a heartbeat. Bedding her would be a pleasure.

"That's not necessary, Gamma. I'm sure you have better things to do with your time than be my escort." She did want to get out of the castle but she highly doubted this man wanted to be responsible for her.

"On the contrary, my lady. It will be a pleasure to escort such a beautiful woman around the castle grounds. Besides, the Alpha ordered it, which means you and I cannot disobey." He gave her a cheeky grin.

And what Alpha Caleb wants, Alpha Caleb gets. She wasn't going to turn him down, though. She hated being shut up in her room alone with her thoughts and the three books she'd already read. "Alright. Please allow me to grab a shawl."

Ragnar nodded and stepped away from the door to wait for her.

Charlotte closed it quickly and walked back into her room. She assessed her dress, deciding it would do and grabbed a shaw, before heading back out.

She followed Ragnar down the steps and through the castle and out into the back. She'd kept an eye out for Caleb, but was disappointed when she hadn't seen him. She'd seen many other people though, most of which had greeted the Gamma and eyed her curiously.

"What's a Gamma?" Charlotte asked, once they were alone outside. She breathed in the fresh air. It was a sunny day but slightly cool, and she was glad she had brought a shawl.

"You know what an Alpha and Beta are?" Ragnar asked. He knew Aydan had told her about werewolves and given her some information.

She nodded. "I'm aware."

"Well, I'm the one after them, third in command." Ragnar entered the garden and watched Charlotte's face light up as she looked around.

"This is beautiful," she said softly as she took a few steps away from him.

"Our former Luna designed the garden," she heard Ragnar say.

Charlotte turned to him. "Luna?"

"The Alpha's mate. Our current Alpha's mother," he explained.

Charlotte nodded. That would make sense since Caleb had lost his own mate. "It's wonderful."

They walked for a bit more, Charlotte occasionally stopping to look at different flowers and plants. She seemed to know what quite a few of them were, surprising him. "You know botony?"

Charlotte shrugged. "I like to read about all sorts of different subjects."

Ragnar watched her as she slowly moved about, mumbling to herself about several of the different plants. He could hear her quite plainly though he doubted she was aware of it. She was intriguing.

"Are you mated, Gamma?" She asked, glancing back at him.

Her sudden question surprised him. "No. Only the Beta is mated, and that was recent and isn't even official yet."

She turned to look at him thoughtfully, and he was again struck by her beauty. He wondered if Caleb had bedded her yet. Caleb had been more moody since she'd arrived. Maybe a quick hump with her would cheer him up. Ragnar directed his thoughts elsewhere. He'd watch to see what happened between them.

They strolled for a bit longer until Ragnar finally spoke again. "Charlotte, I need to take you back."

She smiled at him and nodded. "Alright. Thank you so much for bringing me outside, Gamma."

"If the weather holds, I will come for you again tomorrow." He took her hand and lifted it to his lips, placing a kiss on it.

Charlotte blushed. She liked Ragnar. He didn't annoy her like Lord Aydan did. But then, she wasn't trying to get away from him either.

***

An hour later, there was another knock at her door and Charlotte opened it to find Brianna with a tray in her hands, a teapot, cups and biscuits arranged neatly on it.

"Would you care for tea?" Brianna asked.

Charlotte smiled. "Of course. Please
come in."

"You look well," Brianna set the tray down on the table in the sitting room then turned to give Charlotte a hug. "I'm so sorry I have not been up before now. The Summit keeps me so busy," Brianna turned back to the tray and began to pour the tea.

"How often does it happen?" Charlotte asked, taking her cup. She hadn't had a good cup of tea since she had left home.

"Only once every five years. I do enjoy it, but I'm also glad it's not more often," she said with a smile.

"So, is it over now?" Charlotte asked.

"Yes, everyone has left. Only our pack members are here now. Some travel so far that they stay for a full month," Brianna lifted the small pitcher "Would you like some cream?"

Charlotte nodded. "Please. Where are the furthest coming from?"

"The Americas, Australia and Siberia,* Brianna added a bit of cream and a few lumps of sugar to both hers and Charlotte's tea.

Charlotte's mouth dropped open. She'd love to speak with someone from places that she had only ever read about. Speaking of which.."Brianna? Is there a library here at the castle?"

"Yes." Brianna sipped her tea. "The Alpha has quite an extensive library. Do you read, Charlotte?"

"Yes, I love to read. Alpha Aydan gifted me three books before I left his home but I've read them all. Do you think I can have access to the library?" Charlotte asked.

"That would be a question for Alpha Caleb. I don't think it would be a problem though." Brianna pondered.

Of course. "I understand. I have another question. Is there anything I can do, Brianna? Help in the kitchen or something like that?" Charlotte hoped she'd say yes.

Brianna looked into her tea thoughtfully. "That would be another question for the Alpha, Charlotte."

She felt her heart sink a little at Brianna's response. Everything she wanted to do seemed to be up to him. Probably because she was his slave. "How hard would it be for me to gain an audience with the king?"

"Let me ask " Brianna's eyes glazed over for a few moments, then she refocused on Charlotte. "I'll take you down to his office. He'll see you now."

Charlotte stared at the woman in puzzlement. "I don't understand."

Brianna stood, picking up the tray. "I'll explain another day. Come."

Charlotte nodded and grabbed her shawl, then followed Brianna out of the room and down the stairs. She paid attention to the route Brianna led so she could find her way back. She hoped to one day know every nook and cranny of the castle, especially if she was going to be living here for the rest of her life.

Charlotte could feel her apprehension growing with each step. She was excited to see him again, and wondered if Brianna would be in the room with them.

Brianna stopped in front of a large set of double doors, then turned back to Charlotte. "Go on in. He's expecting you." She turned and walked away.