Chapter 20

An hour later, Caleb was convinced that the woman was his mate. He was immortal, which meant, if he lost his first mate, he would have another so that he wasn't cursed to walk the earth alone for eternity. This Charlotte was truly his mate.

He slammed the book shut. Why? He had made his plans, and now she had come along and messed them up. Not only did he not want another mate, but he most definitely did not want a fragile human. He was the Alpha King. The most powerful Werewolf in the world, and his second chance mate was a human?

He could reject her. His wolf growled in his head at that idea, and Caleb knew Storm was right. He could not reject her. To do so would destroy them both. He had already lost one mate. Losing this girl would pretty much end him mentally.

He would not complete the mating bond with her though. No one needed to know she was his mate. Not even Charlotte herself. She was human after all, and while she could feel the bond, she wouldn't know what it was.

'Dumb idea,' Storm argued.

'We don't need any threats against her. This way she is protected. If we marked her, and she died, it would be very bad for us,' Caleb reminded him.

He sighed. He had to find a place to put her. She belonged to him, and he needed to protect her and keep her close for Storm's sake.

Storm rolled his eyes. 'How did I get stuck with such a stupid idiot? You need her as much as I do. Plus, we still need an heir.' Storm reminded him of Charlotte's naked body and he grimaced.

'I don't think we should sleep with her,' Caleb said. He knew that wasn't going to go over well with his wolf.

'And you'd be right. Do you really think you can live with her for the rest of her life and never touch her?' Storm asked, swishing his tail back and forth.

Caleb thought back to his brief moments with her earlier. It was truly the best thing he'd experienced in the last five years. But still, he couldn't claim her, and she definitely wasn't producing his heir.

Storm rolled his eyes. 'We will argue about this later. First, you need to find a place to keep her. Close by where we can protect her. Like in our Queen 's quarters,' Storm suggested.

The Luna Queen's quarters was the most obvious choice. She'd be close to him and hopefully keep his wolf somewhat soothed. His pack didn't keep human slaves, and it seemed rather odd to him that Alpha Aydan would gift him one. He knew it was common practice in Aydan's land. It was also a good cover for her. She would remain his slave.

'I'll put her there, but she's not our queen,' Caleb reminded Storm.

'She is.' Storm rolled his eyes.

'She's our slave, and that's all she'll ever be. She will not be queen or my Luna,' Caleb reiterated.

Storm growled but didn't reply.

Caleb mindlinked Brianna to come to him. She appeared a few moments later.

"Yes, Alpha?" She bowed her head.

"Brianna, I'd like to thank you for all of your hard work during the Summit. It has not gone unnoticed," Caleb said.

She smiled. "Thank you, Alpha."

"Alpha Aydan gifted me a woman," he watched her frown at his words, but she wouldn't question him. "Her name is Charlotte. Are you aware of her?"

"Yes, Alpha. I'm aware of her."

"What do you know about her?"

"Not much, Alpha," Brianna admitted. "I've been too busy with the Summit. I do know she's English."