Chapter 33

A few days later, Caleb left Northumbria, Alpha Jacob and Sonya in tow. Jacob had turned over the pack to his son before he'd left and then insisted on accompanying Sonya since Caleb had not been able to get his elder daughter to his lands safely.

Caleb couldn't be offended by that. Sophia had died under his watch, something that still infuriated him.

He had decided to bring Sonya home with him so he could get to know her better, and see if she was a compatible match. He couldn't afford to stay at Northumbria any longer. There were things that required his attention at home. Like Charlotte.

The trip was uneventful and once they neared his pack lands, Caleb linked Brianna to have rooms prepared for Alpha Jacob and his daughter. He hadn't quite decided how he was going to work out that situation. If he chose to make Sonya his Queen, Charlotte would have to move out of the Luna Queen's quarters as they rightfully would belong to Sonya. But he didn't want Charlotte to go far.

Maybe he should just take a new room and have the two women roomed on either side of him. Then he could see either one as he pleased. It wasn't a bad idea, but he'd need to think on it.

He could feel Storm's annoyance with him. 'You really think you are going to enjoy mating that she-wolf?'

'She can give us an heir,' Caleb reminded him.

His wolf snorted in disgust. 'Just when I think there may be some hope, you get even more stupid.'

Caleb sighed. He needed an heir. That was the most important thing. Storm was just going to have to deal with him mating Sonya. 'You can imagine it's Sofia.'

Storm huffed at him. 'Or you can stop being stupid and just claim our true mate. The woman we love.'

Caleb didn't respond. He didn't love Charlotte, did he? He couldn't love her. He could never fall in love with her. His heart was damaged enough from losing his first mate. He couldn't handle losing another mate. He couldn't afford to fall in love with her.

Storm smirked. 'Too late.'

***

Charlotte had been miserable the entire time Caleb was absent. She'd been plagued with nightmares and had slept as little as possible.

Her own thoughts were driving her deeper into the darkness, making it difficult for her to function during the day. She rarely left her room, and she knew Brianna, Penny and Ragnar were worried about her.

She desperately missed Caleb and she hated it. She hated what she'd become, a slave to a man who cared nothing for her.

Charlotte had made a point to try to eat at least once a day. She really wasn't hungry even then, but she knew she'd be hounded by Ragnar if she didn't show up for at least one meal. Even then, she just picked at her food.

She entered the dining hall, catching the air of excitement. She glanced up at the head table. No one was there yet. Charlotte sat down at her usual seat and waited.

A few moments later, the Beta and Gamma entered the room. Her heart skipped a beat when Caleb followed them, but then stopped when she saw that he had a woman with him. She was a dark haired beauty who smiled happily up at him. An older gentleman followed behind them.

Charlotte watched them approach the table, and the woman was seated next to Caleb where his own mother typically sat. He kissed her hand and Charlotte knew something had happened. Was she his second chance mate? She'd read he would get one in A History of the Alpha King, and knew at some point it would happen, and she would be forgotten. Perhaps then he would give her to someone else, if they'd want her. She was now a fallen woman, and more than likely no one would.