Chapter 12

Penny woke the next morning feeling quite refreshed. Roland had stayed the night in her room, sleeping on the floor. She had tried to get him to sleep on the bed while she slept on the floor, but he refused.

"Good morning, Penny," he greeted her when she sat up.

"Good morning, Roland." He looked even better this morning, half asleep, his hair messy and a soft smile on his face.

Roland stood and tucked his shirt into his trousers. "Someone will be up shortly with clothes for you. I'm going to make sure everything is ready for our departure. I will join you for breakfast in a bit."

Penny nodded, watching him go. She didn't want him to leave, but she also couldn't imagine getting dressed in front of him either.

She lay there for a bit staring at the ceiling. She'd always wondered what it would be like to stay in bed in the morning and be lazy. She'd never been waited on in her life and now someone was bringing her clothes. Her. It was so strange.

A knock sounded at the door, and she almost got up to open it, but stopped herself. "Come in!"

The door opened, and a beautiful young woman with dark hair walked in, a blue dress draped over her arms. "Good morning, Miss Penny," she said, bowing her head.

"Good morning." This was all so strange.

"My name is Kathleen. I've brought you a riding habit to wear today and I'm here to help you dress." She laid the dress and undergarments down on the bottom of the bed.

Penny's eyes widened at her words. No one has helped her dress since she was a little girl. "Um, It's not necessary for you to help me."

"Oh nonsense!" Kathleen laughed. "This is all new to you, isn't it?"

Penny nodded in embarrassment.

Kathleen smiled warmly at her. "You, my dear, are mated to one of the most powerful werewolves in the world. He is also a good man who will be patient with you while you adjust to this role. Take your time adjusting, but don't let anyone look or talk down to you. Some she-wolves may try, but they're just jealous, and Beta Roland only has eyes for you."

Penny listened to her chatter away as Kathleen helped her dress. She pinned Penny's hair up, and set a hat off to the side for Penny to wear later. Penny looked at herself in the looking glass. She barely recognized the woman staring back at her. She almost looked.. sophisticated.

"You are quite lovely," Kathleen said in admiration.

Penny had never worn anything so fine. She looked back at Kathleen. "Thank you."

The woman bowed her hand. "I must leave. Your mate returns. Breakfast will be up shortly. Safe travels." Kathleen bowed and left the room.

Penny watched her go, completely in disbelief of what had just happened. Was this to be her life now? It was definitely going to take some getting used to.

Roland walked in a moment later and stopped. He smiled appreciatively. "You look lovely, Penny."

She blushed. "Thank you."

Another knock came, and Roland opened the door. Breakfast was brought in, and a few moments later, they were seated at the table.

The meal was delicious, and Penny ate as much as she could. She watched Roland eat enough for three people, and wondered how he stayed so trim.

Once they were finished, he led her down to the courtyard, where they said their goodbyes to their host. Roland placed her on a gray mare before mounting his own white gelding, then they headed out of the courtyard, and the city.