Chapter 4

Days passed slowly as they headed across the Atlantic. Charlotte entertained herself with books she had packed. Katie had been seasick the first few days, but she had gotten over it, and now she was the picture of health. Charlotte knew the little girl was bored, and she and Penny did their best to entertain her, though there was only so much they could do.

The room was stuffy and they didn't get much time on deck. The Baron made a point to take them up to the deck daily for some fresh air, and the three of them looked forward to those short periods of freedom.

Charlotte laid on her bunk one muggy afternoon, a book resting on her stomach as she dozed. The room was stuffier than normal, leaving her feeling lethargic. She longed for the hours to pass so she could venture outside and catch a cool breeze off the ocean. She knew she needed to get used to the humidity as it would be a constant part of her life in Jamaica.

The clanging of the bell up on deck roused her. A moment later, her mother burst into the room.

"Girls, come to me," she said, moving to the center of the room and holding out her hands to her daughters.

Charlotte and Katie both quickly moved to their mother and she pulled them into her arms, hugging them to her. Penny stood close by, biting her lip with worry.

The Baroness was shaking and kept glancing towards the ceiling as the clanging of the bell could still be heard, accompanied by shouts from the men on deck.

"Momma, what's happening?" Charlotte whispered, not wanting to scare Katie. She'd never seen her mother so frightened before.

The Baroness leaned close to her daughter's ear. "Pirates. We're under attack."

Charlotte met her mother's gaze, fear in her eyes. Of all the things that she had expected on this journey, this was not one of them.

The Baroness pulled her daughters even closer. "Penny," she held her hand out to the maid, who was visibly shaking, and Penny moved closer as well, taking the Baroness' hand.

The sounds of battle could be heard above them. Gun shots sounded frequently, and men screamed. The smell of gunpowder was thick in the room and the sound of cannons could be heard every few moments.

They all huddled together, waiting for what felt like an eternity. Then, someone tried to open the door. The women watched as it was pushed on before finally it slammed open and a tall man entered the room. He had long greasy brown hair pulled back at the base of his neck. A full beard covered the lower half of his face, and piercing blue eyes peered out at them all. He stopped, looking the women over, then reached out and grabbed Charlotte's arm, pulling her towards him.

"No," the ladies all screamed in unison, as Charlotte tried to wrench her arm free from his grasp.

The man pulled a pistol out of his belt and pointed it at Katie. "Are you coming, milady?" He asked Charlotte.

She stared at him, a single tear running down her cheek. "Yes," she whispered.

"No!" Her mother shouted. "Take me instead!"

The man looked her over for a moment and smirked. "You're quite lovely, milady, but she is much more valuable. She's young, and beautiful," he lifted his chin towards Charlotte.

"Please," The Baroness begged.

The pirate smirked at her. "Either I take her or everyone in this room dies today."

Charlotte gasped at his words. "I'll go."

Her mother's shoulders sank in surrender. Then she lifted her chin. "At least let her take her maid. She will be more valuable with a maid."