Chapter 25

Charlotte woke the next morning with swollen eyes. She had cried herself to sleep, then she'd dreamed of her parents' deaths. But then the nightmares had stopped and she'd rested quite well.

She was still angry and hurt by Caleb's cruel words and actions yesterday, but she supposed her feelings didn't matter to him.

She sighed and pulled herself out of bed. Might as well get herself dressed for the day before breakfast was brought up.

A knock sounded at the door and Charlotte smoothed down her dress before opening it. Brianna stood there with empty hands.

"Alpha has requested your presence at the dining hall this morning," Brianna said with a smile.

Charlotte's mouth dropped open. "He did?"

"Mmhmm. Did he mention it yesterday when you spoke to him?" Brianna asked.

"He might have forgotten to mention it," Charlotte muttered, following Brianna out of her room and down the stairs.

They entered a large dining hall with three long tables that spanned the length of the room, and a shorter one that sat at the other end from the doors. Most of the seats were taken, and Brianna placed Charlotte toward the end of one table near the door.

She sat quietly watching as more pack members entered the dining hall, sitting around the tables. These people were all so beautiful, she realized.

She kept an eye out for Caleb, but as far as she could tell, he wasn't in the dining room. She imagined he would be sitting up at the head table.

The room was mostly full, and Charlotte had noticed that no one was eating yet. She saw Ragnar enter, and he glanced her way and smiled before walking by. Another couple followed him, and Charlotte almost looked past them, but there was something familiar about the woman. Charlotte stared at her, and then glanced at the woman sitting next to her. "Who is that?"

The woman followed Charlottes gaze. "Oh that's the Beta, and his mate."

"What's her name?" Ragnar had mentioned that the Beta had just recently found his mate.

"Penny."

Charlotte jumped up as soon as she heard the name and hurried over towards the couple. "Penny? Penny!"

The Beta seemed to hear her first, turning towards her and Charlotte stopped, dropping a quick curtsy. She saw his eyes flash with recognition as his mate turned towards her. "Charlotte?"

"Penny!" The two women threw themselves at each other with tears of happiness as the Beta looked on.

Roland hadn't recognized the blond at first until Neo had reminded him of who she was. 'She was the other human at that nasty slaver's.'

No wonder Penny was so overjoyed to see her. Penny had told him quite a bit about Charlotte over the last few weeks.  The fact that she was here was mind boggling.

What's going on? Caleb walked up next to Roland and saw his mate and Charlotte hugging and chatting.

Long story, Roland mind linked him back. They've known each other forever, but were separated by the greedy slaver.

Caleb nodded as he watched the two of them together. If only he'd know, he would have brought them together sooner. Roland had returned with Penny a few weeks ago, and she was a quiet little thing who had only said a few words to him. But she adored Roland, and that was all Caleb cared about.

Roland had told him in private that Penny had been through an awful ordeal and she needed time to adjust to everything. He hadn't shared any details, and Caleb hadn't pressed, but now he wondered if Charlotte had gone through the same ordeal.