Queen Mala

It's been a week since the attentive kidnapping and Hiccup has been feeling he was responsible for the attack.

He hasn't been out as much, Toothless tries to cheer him up but all attempts fail.

He feels if it weren't for him, his father would still be alive. If he wasn't showing off his abilities, his father wouldn't have need to rescue him.

If he was just a little faster, he could have saved his father.

Mala sees him moping in his room while looking at himself in his mirror and knows her brother too well to know what he's doing.

"You can't keep blaming yourself for what happened, Hiccup." Mala informs him.

"Actually, it seems like I can." Hiccup replies, not facing her.

Mala walks over to her brother and places a hand on his shoulder. "I mean that you shouldn't be blaming yourself. What happened to father was unfortunate, but he wouldn't want you blaming yourself. If he had to choose between you or his life, he would obviously choose you over him again and again. At least his sacrifice helped us stop the Dragon Hunters."

Hiccup finally faces her and knows she's right. His father helped them capture Ryker and Viggo, meaning the Dragon Hunters quickly fell apart.

"You're right." Hiccup agrees. "Besides, we have to get ready for your coordination." He says while smiling.

Today is Mala's coronation for her to become Queen Defender of the Wing, but in order for her to be the new queen, she must go through the Trials to prove she's worthy enough.

These tests involve; fire, poisonous reptiles, volcanoes. Basically, anything that can cause a grisly, painful death that you could think of.

-

First test, Mala must cross a river of lava using boulders provided by the Eruptodon.

The said Eruptodon comes marching in and shoots boulders from his mouth for her to cross.

Toothless and Hiccup watch from the other end and hope she's going to be okay.

Mala takes a few deeps breaths to prepare herself. She needs to make it across as fast as she can, but watch her steps or she could fall in. And neither Hiccup or Toothless can intervene.

She takes off down the path of smoking hot boulders and everyone cheers as she does it as calm and slow as she can.

She makes it to the the end and Hiccup pulls her into a hug in her victory.

"That looked incredibly painful." Hiccup admits.

"It was indeed, brother. But I pulled through." Mala tells him while trying to fight the pain her feet are going through.

-

Then next trial, going through a maze with deadly poisonous eels inside.

Mala had the choice to bring a weapon and decides to go in without one.

Running from the eels as they come at her, Mala just moves out of their way as they come at her. Since she's invading their home, it means they're defending it from her. She's just trying to pass through without any problems.

"She's gonna make it!" Hiccup cheers.

Coming up to the exit, she's almost to victory when a giant eel comes out of the water.

"She's not gonna make it." Toothless says and covers his eyes with his wings as more giant eels surround her.

Mala gets attacked by the giant eels and Hiccup covers his eyes as well, not wanting to see what comes next.

What he didn't see was Mala moved swiftly out of its way and the giant eel hits the other eels and she climbs out as fast as she could.

"She did it? I mean, you did it!" Hiccup says, sounding less surprised and sounding more supportive.

Toothless moves his wings and looks to see she made it and is surprised himself.

-

The next and final trial is up, and this is the most dangerous of all the trials.

Throk holds a bow and arrow up and it's pointed to Hiccup who's sitting on the throne for this trial.

For this trial, Mala must race to save Hiccup by allowing the arrow to hit her instead of him.

If she survives, she becomes queen.

If she fails, it hits Hiccup and kills him.

"Uh, is it too late to call quits?" Hiccup wonders, not liking this.

"Sorry, Hiccup." Throk apologizes, as he's not enjoying the chances of this either. He does this wrong, he could kill Mala or Hiccup. Mala does this wrong, she or Hiccup could die.

"I'm ready." Mala promises and Throk releases the arrow.

Mala moves in front of the arrow as it hits her and not Hiccup.

As she falls, they all rush to her aid and see it just barely pierced her side, but enough to cause in injury and they take her to the medical hut.

-

When Mala comes too, she has a bandage around her side and looks to see Hiccup.

"Hiccup...What happened?" Mala asks her brother.

"You passed the tests...Mala, Queen Defender of the Wing." Hiccup says and Mala smiles as she's now the queen like her father wanted her to be.

Once she's cleared to leave, everyone waits for her and are in formation as Mala walks up to the throne where Throk is there as he is now her personal bodyguard.

"All hail Mala, Queen Defender of the Wing!" Throk says as they all salute and bow and Mala walks through her crowd of subjects and sits on her throne.

Even Hiccup salute's and bows to his sister as Toothless kneels before her to show his respect.