Returning

It has been 2 months since Hiccup and Toothless have defeated the Red Death and things haven't been the same.

Toothless never left Hiccup's side. Mala arranged for Hiccup to rest in her room and no one dared to question her, 'cause they knew she wanted to keep a close eye on her brother.

Jason was kind enough to make a prophetic leg for Hiccup to walk with for when he woke up.

As for Hiccup, he was still resting for the battle against the Red Death. Mala checked on him from time to time and every time they did, they always knew that Toothless was his brother and Heather seemed to be his friend so it made sense why they were always by his side.

Heather and Toothless even had their meals only to be with Hiccup. The Night Fury refused to eat at first, but after a little convincing from Mala and Heather, Toothless understood Hiccup wouldn't want him to starve himself.

Aside from sleep and meals, the only times she left his side for any length of time were the nights was when she had to meet Savage and report to him. When her first week was up, he demanded to see the boy himself.

"He was badly injured in battle," Heather told him. "He's in a coma in his father's house."

Savage assumed now she was bluffing. "Show him to me," he demanded.

"All right," Heather agreed, "but I suggest you walk quietly." She led him through the dark, quiet streets at midnight and brought him to Mala's house. "He's in here, in the bed against the back wall, on the left," she whispered as she opened the door.

Savage stepped up to the door but stopped dead in his tracks as the doorway was suddenly filled with a huge scaly black head.

Toothless sniffed him once and let out a quiet but deadly-sounding snarl. Savage's eyes went wide, and he turned and ran back to his ship so fast, he could give Speed Stingers a chase.

Heather patted Toothless on the nose. "I guess I forgot to warn him about the Night Fury," she whispered with a shrug and grin. "Silly me."

"I'm beginning to like you." Toothless tells Heather, knowing she can't understand him.

Halfway through the fifth week, she had run upstairs to change her clothes when she heard murmuring. Toothless sounded excited as usual, and suddenly, she heard Hiccup cry out...and Hiccup was sitting up in bed.

For a moment, she was stunned into speechlessness. Then she screamed his name and launched herself at him. She forced herself to not knock him flat he was sure to be even weaker than usual from his long ordeal. He allowed her to fling her arms around him, but he seemed confused.

"Heather, it's nice to see you, too, but...what's all the excitement about?" Hiccup asked, confused with no idea what happened.

She couldn't talk. She couldn't think straight. She was hyperventilating. All she could do was cling to him. At last she regained some of her composure and partially let go of him.

"We were so afraid for you! We didn't think you were coming back!" Heather finally said.

"Come back?" Hiccup wondered. "From where? What's going on? Excuse me a second, I've got an itch like you wouldn't believe." He pulled the covers back...

...and stared. Just stared.

Toothless joined them by the side of the bed. Heather felt like she shouldn't say anything; she let him decide how this scene would play out. She sat on his right, Toothless stood by his left, and together, they let him begin to come to terms with his loss.