Chapter 4

KAI KISHIMOTO

"You look like you were stood up or left alone at the altar of your own wedding," Zade mocked from my bed as I tried to fix my tie knot, how do I do this thing?

I simply looked at his reflection in the mirror with a blank stare, "do you want me to hurt you?"

"Say that again when your eyes are not half closed and maybe then I'll feel close to threatened," he replied, taking a plate of cake off of the nightstand before taking a bite.

"Hey," I started, still looking at the mirror, "don't eat on my bed."

"Kind of too late."

"Get out of my room before I kick you out of my house," I crossed my arms turning and leaning my back to the dresser.

"Alright, alright," he finished his cake and stood up, "but I'm telling you for your sake, you know, since you're meeting all the supremes, please let Aunt Naz fix that tie for you. You look like you just came out of a fist fight.

He closed the door behind him, and I ran my hand down my face. I just woke up, like, two hours ago since it wasn't a school day, but I still wanted to bury myself in bed. Instead, I'm dressed up in a goddamn suit, with a bunch of government cars waiting for us in front of the house, and I'm going to have to deal with a lot of faces and conversations today. Zade and Jett wanted to spend the day with us before we left, so Uncle Adam dropped them off at our house. I sprayed some perfume and fixed my hair one last time when Zade opened the door again.

"Your dad is calling you," he popped his head inside, "and if I'm to fetch you like a dog, I'd like a cookie and a raise."

"Speaking of cookies," I turned and opened the door fully before patting him on the back, "we're out of them, can you run by the store and get some? Pascal loves eating them. Thank you."

"Wha— hey!" He called after me as I ran down the stairs, "Kai! I swear to god—"

"Finally," Dad said. He was dressed in all black trousers and t-shirt, ready to head out for work since nobody is here today, "your mum will kill you if you're not out now."

"Sorry," I said and looked over at Jett sitting on the floor watching ratatouille, "not that you care, but I'm telling you goodby—"

"Shhh," she raised her hand shushing me, "leave, shut the door behind you, you're interrupting my favorite part."

I eyed the screen seeing the scene where Janeane is threatening Lou with a knife in the kitchen, "you're psychotic, Jett."

"Good to know."

"And that cartoon is unrealistic."

At that, she finally turned her head to me with a glare, "your favorite cartoon is Zootopia."