Chapter 5

EMMALINE LEILA WARNER

Falling asleep in a party dress and smudged makeup on my face is definitely on the top 10 most painful things

Falling asleep in a party dress and smudged makeup on my face is definitely on the top 10 most painful things. I headed straight to shower before even processing who I am and what I am doing here because I needed out of these clothes ASAP. And what's more relaxing than a morning shower, right? Wrong. So wrong.

The shower was anything but peaceful. Now that the cool water splashing against my face woke me up, everything that happened yesterday came rushing into my head. No, scratch that. Not everything, all my thoughts always ended up focusing on a certain someone. I couldn't stop thinking about him, no matter how hard I tried to clear my head or think about something else.

Thinking about getting in the car to go to the dinner? My brain ended up with the image of Kai in a suit standing in front of me. Thinking about eating dinner? Kai pulling and pinning me against the wall, talking in a voice that made my knees go weak. Talking to Naz in the ball room? Kai's hands on me as we danced together. God, I could still smell his perfume in the air as if he's still here, holding me so close to him as I buried my face in his chest when I hugged him.

Turning off the water, I wrapped myself in a towel and walked to my room to change into some comfy clothes. I went to get my brush from the dresser, but it wasn't there. I frowned and bent down searching under the dresser in case it might have fallen, but all I found were the heels I had on yesterday. How did they end up here? Wait. How did I end up here? I don't remember even walking in this room yesterday. I recalled the entire day until I got in Kai's car and then my mind went blank. Maybe I slept in the car and dad or mum helped me inside.

I sighed and continued to look for the brush, before something in my memories clicked. The last time I used it I was at Kai's. Yesterday Naz got my hair done, so I didn't touch it myself. I closed my eyes and huffed in frustration then opened my door going down the stairs. I was about to tell my mum good morning when I heard her already talking to someone, making my movements come to a halt.

"I swear I'm not making things up this time," she insisted, "you didn't see how they acted when I came in."

"J, you're not giving me any details," Kenji's voice replied, "as much as this is a topic that makes me lose my mind a little bit, I'm going to need you to calm down and explain in detail."

What in the world were they on about? At 8 am?

"Okay, look. I was looking for them because both of them disappeared after the dance—"

"Dance?!" He snapped, "girl, I'm missing chapters."

"Oh yeah, they danced. It was so pretty, I think it was better for you not to see it, I have a feeling you would've fainted. Anyway, so I went looking for them, right?"

"Okay," Kenji said calmly, waiting for her to go on. Where they talking about Kai and me? What the hell?

"And I opened one door not even expecting to find them, but there they were! And you didn't see how fast they pulled away from each other, like I caught them red handed."