Chapter 37

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.
𝕂𝕒𝕚 𝕂𝕚𝕤𝕙𝕚𝕞𝕠𝕥𝕠
»--•--«

"Come on," Emmaline gripped my hand tighter, looking over her shoulder before running off, pulling me with her

"Emmaline, wait—"

"They will catch us," she took a turn, my eyebrows lowering, trying to take in the unfamiliar surroundings but followed her lead, my heat racing from the adrenaline shooting through my veins.

As we sprinted down the dimly lit corridor, Emmaline suddenly stumbled, her foot catching on something unseen in the darkness causing her to slip from me. I reached out to steady her, my heart pounding with fear and urgency.

"We have to keep moving," I urged, glancing back to see our pursuer, the man I thought was the boss, gaining ground.

Emmaline's eyes widened with determination as she quickly recovered, her hand darting to her waistband where she had concealed a small handgun. Without hesitation, she pressed it into my hand.

"Take this," she whispered urgently, her voice trembling with adrenaline, "don't let him catch us."

I hesitated for a moment, the weight of the gun heavy in my palm, my heart weighting too. I swallowed and looked behind to the man grabbing his own gun, loading it. I shook my head, thinking we could just move along and get away from him but when I looked back in front of me another one was standing, cornering us.

"Kai," Emmaline gritted out, looking down at her narrowing her eyes at me, "do it now."

Do it. Kill them. She wants me to kill them so we could get away. My mind raced with conflicting thoughts as I stared down at the gun in my hand, but I raised it anyway, pointing at the one who was following us. But as I raised the weapon, a surge of doubt and hesitation flooded through me.

For a fleeting moment, I hesitated, my finger hovering over the trigger. Shoot him. Shoot him and you and Emmaline get to finally go home. So I pulled the trigger, the sound of the gunshot echoed through the corridor, the thought of taking his life sounding so much more comfortable than Emmaline's life being in danger, the memory of her with a knife in her stomach sending a flare of anger up my spine, making me fire again even after he was on the ground.

I quickly turned and shot the other one, watching fall to the ground as I lowered my gun, letting out a breath when I saw his chest stop moving, indicating he's just as dead as the other guy before finally meeting Emmaline's gaze.

"What's wrong?" I frowned seeing the panicked look on her eyes, watching her slowly blink before looking down at her figure, her hand holding to side of her stomach— holding a wound. My heart jumped when I found a bloody knife on the ground next to her feet, her legs giving out from underneath her.