Chapter 18

ੈ✩‧₊˚
𝔼𝕞𝕞𝕒𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕖 𝕃𝕖𝕚𝕝𝕒 𝕎𝕒𝕣𝕟𝕖𝕣
ੈ✩‧₊˚

I slid my arms around Kai's stomach once I put on my helmet, hearing the motorcycle's engine come to life and rested my head on his shoulder blades as he took off

I slid my arms around Kai's stomach once I put on my helmet, hearing the motorcycle's engine come to life and rested my head on his shoulder blades as he took off. It's been two days after the supremes visited Kai's house, and I think Kai finally started slowly going back to normal. I've been helping too, messing with him to remind him we're still the same, spending a normal amount of time with him, and at the same time reminding him that I'll be there if he needs to talk.

I still can't get the memory of him crying in my embrace that night. How he looked so lost and scared. How he broke down the moment I touched him. It made me furious at whoever had a hand in doing this. It made me even more furious that I don't know who did it. I only knew one thing, and I wasn't even sure about it. Ivan.

I know he wasn't the one who set this up of course, but the way Kai asked him if he found Gia... Gia was already outside the academy, and Ivan told me he went to look for someone. But two days ago Kai was wondering if Ivan found her. Like Ivan was the one who wanted to find her. Ivan was the one who told Kai to find her. I wasn't sure, I could be wrong, but I couldn't really control what I did next. I'm not even sure I regretted it. I think I liked it.

I watched as Kai headed to the kitchen then looked back at Dad looking at where Jett left, then to Ivan, then down at me saying he'll be right back and disappeared too, leaving me and Ivan staring at each other.

"Hey," Ivan smiled at me, "how are you doing?"

"Good," I simply said, replaying the whole conversation that just happened in my head. Something seemed off.

"And how is Kai? Like honestly?" Ivan pressed, "he seems distant. Is he okay? Something's off."

"He's fine. Nothing's wrong with him," I rushed, curling my fingers into fists, "he just needs time. What happened to him is a lot."

"I'm really sorry about that," he took a step towards me, and something in my mind clicked. I couldn't even control the surge of rage flowing down my chest at the thought. I couldn't restrain my tongue before it spoke.

"Hey, it's crowded in here, can we go to the next room?" I said already moving with him following my lead until we reached the empty space by the fireplace, "so what happened? I didn't really want to pressure Kai to explain to me everything, but you were there. What happened before the academy... exploded?"

"Ahh, well, I don't really remember everything, but I remember we all ran out, Kai was helping others then when he got out, I was there and was about to tell him to get far from the entrance, but he said he needed to go look for someone."

I nodded my head as he went on. He went looking for someone? For Gia? The girl who was already outside? Why would she even be a first thought in his mind over everyone else? How would Kai even know if she was or wasn't outside? He just decided to go look for her instead of asking if she made it out? This didn't make any sense.