Chapter 9

EMMALINE LEILA WARNER

Hanging out with people in Kai's year is going to turn into a habit, I knew it

Hanging out with people in Kai's year is going to turn into a habit, I knew it. Aside from Clara everyone was actually really fun and nice. It was only two days after thanksgiving, but Kai told me he was going to a nearby club with the same people I saw at the lake party, and if I wanted to join. I said yes because A) I actually liked them B) I would not leave Clara with him alone outside school. School hours were enough torture for me, him being with her the whole day in class was affecting me. I sometimes zoned out from my own sessions and thought about what they could be doing, what they could be talking about.

"You don't want to play?" Maven asked to my right, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, I'm not really good with sports," I chuckled awkwardly. Rio and Kai were playing a 1 vs 1 basketball match while Maven and I watched from the benches. Clara, Dalia, and Amelia were playing keep away to our left, Dalia and Clara tossing the ball back and forth to each other while Amelia tried to catch it.

"You never played sports?" Maven wondered, raising an eyebrow.

"I mean I can. I'm just not so big on them," I said, "what sport do you like the most?"

"Probably volleyball," he shrugged, looking at Kai and Rio before looking at me again, "but that's so weird. I mean don't you practice basketball with Kai?"

"Kai doesn't do basketball practice," I replied with a shook of my head. Clubs consisted of a lot of sports now, but when we were young there wasn't many yet. Kai and I never really cared about learning anything besides swimming, and even that it was mostly our dads teaching us. Kai was really good at basketball, though, from playing around with his friends, I guess, "he's just naturally good at it, I guess."

"And you?" Maven asked, tossing a basketball between his hands, "what do you like to do the most?"

"Hmm," I narrowed my eyes, thinking, "I don't know? I like swimming."

"You're missing out a lot, Emma," he grinned, nudging my shoulder with his, "maybe if you decide to hang out with us more often, I can convince you to like volleyball too."

I let out a laugh, "maybe. You guys are fun, so I think I'll take your offer—"

My sentence was cut off by my own gasp as I felt a gust of air against my face, Maven's body jerking away from mine, but it was already too late. It was so fast I didn't even see when the ball hit Maven's shoulder, or where it even came from, I just saw as Maven clutched his shoulder with a groan, the ball rolling down the floor.

"What the hell, Kai?" Rio's voice snapped both Maven and I's heads, seeing Rio with his arms extended, a frown on his face, "that throw was so out. What are you doing?"

My gaze went to Kai expecting him to be shaking his head or trying to come up with an excuse, but all he did was just stand there, his eyes narrowed in our direction with a tilt of his head. What's happening right now? Not replying, Kai ran a hand through his already messed up hair and walked towards us, causing me to frown as his face became clearer. Aside from the sharp look in his eyes, his expression gave away absolutely nothing.