Chapter 34

ੈ✩‧₊˚
𝔼𝕞𝕞𝕒𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕖 𝕃𝕖𝕚𝕝𝕒 𝕎𝕒𝕣𝕟𝕖𝕣
ੈ✩‧₊˚

I swallowed, my eyes wide as I scanned the empty room with my eyes

I swallowed, my eyes wide as I scanned the empty room with my eyes. But that was it, empty. There was nobody here. Nobody I could see.

I took in a deep breath, looking down for the camera not to see me talk and let out in a shaky whisper, "Kenji?"

It was quiet, so quiet that I almost thought my mind was playing tricks on me, that something finally snapped in my head and I went completely insane, but then fingers brushed against my wrists, against the wires before he whispered again, "the one and only. Ready to experience one of my rescue missions bedtime stories in action?"

He's here. He's actually here. I felt my hands break free, finally being able to move my fingers, my sore wrists burning underneath the breeze of air that finally hit them, but I didn't move them from behind the chair, not wanting the camera to catch that they're free, "how... how are you—"

"I'll explain everything later," he cut me off, "don't worry, you're okay now. I just want you to do something, can you?"

"What?"

"There are cameras in here, right?" He asked and I slowly nodded, "I'm going to project my powers—"

"No," I shot back, my breath catching before I quickly shook my head, "if I moved, they'll hurt him. They put me in here so that anything I do out of the ordinary will be used against him not me. No."

There was a pause, a long one. He was probably looking where I was, at the screen, at Kai. He was resting his head back again, not doing anything, he was probably wondering where I went, why am I not talking to him right now.

"I won't let them hurt him again, Emma," Kenji spoke again, "I'll get us out of here and go to him before anyone can touch him, okay?"

Kai? I asked, and his eyes snapped open, blowing out a breath.

Where did you go?

I'm here, I simply said, but... someone else is here too. For us.

...what?

Your dad. Kenji. Kenji is here. With me.

What? He shot up as much as his bounds would allow, blinking rapidly, what are you talking about?

He's going to let us out. We'll come to you.

"Emma?" Kenji's whisper snapped me back, blinking twice before shaking my head and swallowing, "we'll get to him before they get the chance to do anything, and if they did do something to him, I promise I'll make them regret laying a look at him to begin with, okay?"

That I believed. I didn't have to see Kenji actually fighting someone to know what he's capable of doing. I know what I'm about to see. I'm about to see the man who read me bedtime stories and watched cartoons with me, the same guy who got scolded with me when he would sneak candy into my pillow without my parents knowing like he was just a child, fight and possibly kill someone right now. Because that's who he is, a soldier. A murderer. Just like all my family.