1

KANAK'S P.O.V

After spending a long hour on the plane, I decided to take a walk in the garden. This particular garden always brings me a sense of peace. I couldn't help but think that my flowers must have missed me. They are like my love, after all.

Suddenly, I heard my mom calling me, "Kanak, come here!" I immediately ran inside towards the sound of her voice.

"Yes, mom, what's the matter?" I asked, curious about why she called me.

She explained, "This is your room. Although it's your room, you'll be spending a good amount of time at your brother's house whenever your dad and I are away. I won't let you stay alone."

Mixed emotions flooded over me upon hearing this news. I mean, Daksh bhaiya did stay here after Roshni bhabhi had a baby. But he always made me nervous. Am I scared of my own brother? I don't think so. He's just a little strict, and mom always listens to Daksh bhaiya more than Ayaan. I can stay with Ayaan, but not Daksh bhaiya.

To express my frustration, I made a small balloon out of the bubble gum I was chewing. "I'm not a kid," I said, rolling my eyes, and went back out to the garden. It had to be the perfect answer.

Lost in my thoughts, I continued to gaze at the flowers until I reached an empty spot. I decided that I would probably plant some vegetable seeds here. It would be fun.

However, my mom's voice interrupted my thoughts, and I realized that it was already evening. "Yes, mom, what's going on now?" I asked as I entered the kitchen, where she was cooking. I don't know why, but my mom loves cooking.

She always says that food should be made with love, and since she's not that busy, she can make it. But it's not like she cooks all the time. We have a maid who cooks back at home.

"What is this, Kanak? Go wash your hands. You were playing in the garden," my mom scolded. I huffed and showed her my hand.

"It's clean," I replied, because there's a big difference between playing and being dirty.

"But I still think we should wash it so that my little shorty sister can have some chocolate," I hear a voice from behind, and I'm sure if it belongs to Ayaan because Daksh would never cover my eyes like this. I place my hand on the hand that is covering my eyes.

"Bhaiya," I say and quickly wrap my hand around Ayaan. He is so affectionate.

"So, finally you're here," he says. I nod my head, trying to take the chocolate from his hand.

"Go wash your hands."

"No," I protest.

"Kanak, go and wash your hands," I hear Daksh's voice. I look towards the other end of the table and find Daksh there. Why does he always give orders like this?

"Now, will you go or not?" Ayaan whispers teasingly. My feet automatically walk towards the bathroom.

"Mom, I've completed all the procedures. She can join from tomorrow. Kanak, they are a little ahead of you in college, but you don't have to worry, I will help you," Daksh says. The last thing I want is him helping me with my studies, no, never.

"No, I will catch up on my own," I say, digging into my food.

"Ayaan, will you stay here or leave again?" Ayaan asks. Why does he have to ask this?

"Ayaan, I didn't want to leave after Daksh, baby. It's your baby sister, God knows what she did that her school made her retake her classes after completion," Mom says, and the anger in her voice, which I can feel, is directed towards me.

"I did nothing," I mumble happily, enjoying my favorite food.

"Why didn't you bring Roshni?" Mom asks, and I also look up curiously because I want to play with Khushi too.

"Actually, this morning Khushi had to get a vaccine, so she was crying the whole day today, and in the evening, she was sleeping, and Roshni was sleeping with her too, so I didn't wake them up," he explains, then he looks up towards me. I quickly look down.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"Daksh, let's have a talk," Daksh's mother says to Daksh. Daksh nods his head and starts clearing the plates from the table for washing.

"Yes, Mom," Daksh responds, coming back to the table.

Daksh returned to the table and asked his mom, "Yes, mom?"

She replied, "Actually, I just wanted to talk to you about Kanak..."

Daksh looked at her with confusion and said, "Yeah, mom, go ahead. What happened?"

She explained, "I don't know what kind of fight she got into or why, but her results were not cancelled for no reason. The school showed me the video..." She glanced around to see if anyone else was present.

"She was not behaving normally. I felt like she was drunk or... you know how school kids are at some places, they can easily get access to... Should I be more clear?" she sighed.

Daksh responded, "Yes, please be clear. Do you think she was drunk? And if you do, why didn't you address it at that time?"

"Daksh, I think she was high, she took drugs. It's just my thought, I don't know if it's real or not. And you know her behavior, she never listens to me or anyone else," she said, avoiding eye contact with her son.

"So... you prioritize your business or hospital over her, right? You took her with you, now don't tell me what you think or what you saw," Daksh said, getting up from his chair. However, his mom held his hand.

"Daksh, that thing was important too. She is your younger sister, much younger than you, even younger than Roshni. You can blame me, but please don't..." she pleaded. Daksh closed his eyes for a moment.

"Mom, if she is addicted, then go to Ayaan, not me. I'm not a doctor" Daksh said, sitting back down on the chair.

"Daksh, please look over there. I had some work to attend too, which is why I called you to take care of our business. I needed to delegate it to someone else, but neither of you agreed with the idea of handling the business. If I were to work on it, I wouldn't be able to give my full attention to Kanak, which is understandable.

"Yeah mom everything is normal. Please refrain from discussing these matters as they upset me. You and dad are her parents, not me. Why do you expect me to fulfill the role of a guardian for them? They are my siblings, not my responsibility.

"Daksh's elder siblings are like parents. I cannot abandon my work of the hospital. Your husband has accepted this, but I cannot. She can change. Your father wanted a daughter who he wouldn't have to reprimand. I just want to ask you, please do not neglect her. She will be studying at the college where you teach, right? Please take care of your younger sister," she said, holding his hands firmly.

"Mom, you are called 'mother' for a reason. You should discuss this with dad, not me. I am leaving. Ask your husband to take care of his princess."

"Daksh, you should take responsibility for her," his mother shouted as he once again left his chair, setting it back in place.

"Mom, do as you wish. I am leaving. I have already taken care of Ayaan, and he is doing well. I managed to look after him while balancing my work and studies. If Kanak has strayed off the right path due to your negligence, it is your fault," Daksh said as he walked towards the living area where Kanak was chatting and laughing with Ayaan.

_______