14

"So what's happened?" Rahul asked, bringing the car to a stop in front of Daksh's apartment building. Kanak glanced out the window and then down at her hand.

"Daksh said he would drop Khushi off at daycare," she mumbled, her eyes welling up with tears as she thought about it.

"And you thought Khushi would have no parental support, just like you didn't, right?" Rahul stated more than asked. Kanak nodded, avoiding his gaze.

"Kanak, I'm sure your brother won't treat Khushi like that. You just don't know him completely. It's okay, you'll get to know them better. Talk to the doctor about everything, how you feel, or any questions you have. She will help you," Rahul reassured her, cupping her cheeks.

"You're easier to talk to when you drop your bad girl attitude," Kanak remarked, nodding her head kanak get out of the car.

Nervously, she knocked on Daksh's apartment door.

"Why can't mom stay at home more often?" Kanak muttered to herself, just as Roshni opened the door with a smile.

"Ayaan is here with the doctor. Go to your room," Roshni whispered. Kanak took a step back, but a hand pulled her inside.

"Kanak, let's go to the room," Ayaan said. Kanak looked at him and shook her head.

"I told you, I don't want to talk to the doctor," Kanak pleaded. Roshni walked into the room, knowing very well that she would end up taking Kanak's side. She had also made some wrong choices in her life and was advised to seek treatment, which she had refused and begged Daksh not to see any doctor.

Feeling sorry for Kanak. Roshni walks into her room.

"Does she really need treatment, Daksh?"

"Is she here? Alright, stay here. I'll talk to the doctor," Daksh replied, leaving the room without paying attention to Roshni.

Daksh made his way to Kanak's room, where she was holding onto Ayaan's shirt sleeves.

"Where is the doctor?"

"She left her bag in the car, so she went to get it," Ayaan answered with a sigh, looking at Kanak who was trying to get closer to him, but there was no space between them, causing her to back away.

"Why are you scared?" Daksh asked.

"I don't want treatment or therapy, please. Medicine is also a drug, Ayaan. What if I get addicted to them?" Kanak expressed her concerns.

"Your medicine will be locked, and as for therapy, you have to do it. I arranged it at home because you were scared, darling," Ayaan assured her. Kanak's eyes fell on Daksh, and she moved away from Ayaan, making her way towards him.

"Tell him," she demanded.

"He's right. We'll stop it as soon as we see some improvement," Daksh said, gently kissing her hair.

Kanak looked at them with pleading eyes, but when it didn't work, she raised her hand and started punching Daksh's shoulder.

"I want to go to my mom. I don't want to stay with all of you. I'm old enough to live alone. I'm an adult, and I can do whatever I want. No one should control my life. Why do all of you have to have control over everything?" Kanak expressed her frustration.

"Do whatever you want, none of us will stop you. If you want to be in a relationship, go ahead. If you want to have a party without drugs or alcohol, go for it. If you want to kiss your boyfriend, go ahead, just don't get physical. There are a few restrictions, but other than that, you're free to do anything," Ayaan said, pulling Kanak towards him.

"How can you talk about me getting physical? Aren't you ashamed?" Kanak asked, wiping her tears with her sleeves.

"I'm trying to warn you, you know. I think you're not very smart, so I don't want you to get involved with the wrong person. This isn't a fairytale world, Kanak. People here are selfish, and I've noticed that it's easy to manipulate you," Ayaan said. Kanak shook her head and broke the hug when the doctor knocked on the room door.

"Please," Kanak whispered. A sweet lady with a warm aura greeted Kanak with a wide smile.

"You must be Kanak. It's nice to meet you, Kanak," she said sweetly, looking at Ayaan. Taking a hint, Ayaan pushed Kanak onto the bed and pulled a chair beside it.

"Kanak, be comfortable. Don't think about anything, just calm down and take a deep breath. Then we can continue," the lady said warmly, signalling Ayaan to do something.

"Kanak, I'll just do a regular check-up. Then I'll leave this room, but Daksh will stay with you. But it's your final call if you want someone else in this room," Ayaan said softly. When Kanak didn't make any comment, Ayaan started checking her after making sure everything was fine. He nodded his head to the lady.

"You're doing good, young man. You can go and study for your upcoming exam while I have a little chat with Kanak. You can continue with her treatment after I leave," she said. Ayaan nodded his head and left the room.

As the session started, Kanak only gave a few answers to the doctor and mostly stayed quiet.

"It was good, at least we got to know your preferences," the doctor said, the smile never leaving her face. She left the room, and Daksh immediately followed behind her.

"I'm sorry she didn't answer you," Daksh said.

"No, it's totally fine. She just needs time. She'll tell me everything, I'm sure. Today's session was good from my point of view. You have to see it from my point of view too. I need all of you to let your sister know that she can't do drugs anymore. The family plays a significant role in this treatment, Mr. Daksh," the doctor explained.

Daksh nodded at the doctor's words and walked her out of the door.

Ayaan steps out of Roshni's room and gives Daksh a questioning look.

"She didn't say much," Daksh says, shrugging his shoulders.

"Go give her the medicine. Take Roshni with you."

After a few minutes, Ayaan emerges from Kanak's room. Daksh looks at them and then his gaze falls upon Roshni, who has a look of shock in her eyes.

"What happened?" Daksh asks as Roshni rushes to him, seeking comfort in his arms.

"Daksh, she didn't... I mean, she didn't show any signs of pain when Ayaan injected her. She simply followed his instructions. Ayaan asked her to show him the back of her palm, and she did. Even I flinched, but she remained calm. Ayaan asked her to lie on her stomach, and she obeyed him. I would have refused him a thousand times," Roshni says, with Ayaan chuckling at her words.

"My sister isn't a scaredy-cat. Sleep now, I'm going home."

After Ayaan leaves, Roshni snuggles into Daksh's chest and looks up at him, tracing circles on his chest.

"Daksh, Kanak doesn't want therapy."

"She needs it, Roshni. Let's go to sleep, okay? Oh, wait, did you eat?"

Roshni bites her tongue. "I forgot about food," she thinks, but nods her head.

"I'm full," she mumbles, and Daksh gives her a gentle peck on the lips before taking her to their room.