22

"Mom, I love you soo much. Thanks for inviting Rahul's family. They have such a small family, just his mom and sister, and he loves them so much," Kanak exclaimed, giving Dakshita a hug.

Dakshita nodded and glanced at her older son, who seemed engrossed in conversation with Ayaan. If it weren't for Daksh, they wouldn't be sitting at the dining table, eagerly waiting for Rahul's family to arrive.

"Papa, you're going to like him," Kanak said, her father smiling and nodding in agreement.

"Of course, my daughter has great taste," he replied.

Kanak tapped her fingers on the table, eagerly awaiting Rahul's arrival.

"Ayaan, how's your work going. Do you have a girlfriend too?" Dakshita asked, to which Ayaan shook his head.

"Good, at least the son of our house is on the right path," Dakshita muttered under her breath. Kanak ignored her comment, maintaining her happy smile.

"Roshni, if you're tired, you can go to bed. It's not like someone important is coming that we all have to wait. Khushi is alone too..."

"Mom, she's not tired. And Aashika is with Khushi they are just upstairs sleeping. Let's keep the peace at the table," Daksh interrupted, glancing at Kanak, who seemed to be ignoring her mother's comment.

Kanak's smile widened as she heard the doorbell. She was about to go to the door, but her mother held her hand.

"We have maids for this. Enjoy the luxury while you can, because if you marry that low-grade man, you won't be getting it anymore," her mother remarked.

"Mom!" Daksh and Ayaan exclaimed simultaneously.

Dakshita rolled her eyes and looked at her husband, who pleaded with her to stop her current behavior.

Rahul's family took their seats, and the maids served dinner. The atmosphere at the table was filled with uncomfortable silence, but it was soon broken by Dakshita.

"Ayaan told me you're specialized in Dermatology?" she asked.

"Yes, Auntie," Rahul replied.

"Why? Why choose such a crap field?" Dakshita questioned.

Rahul clenched his fist and glanced at Kanak, who was now glaring at her mom.

"Mom, I don't think it's fair. You need to stop talking like this. Your comments are making me question if I'm doing the right thing or if it's just nonsense in your eyes," Ayaan commented, causing her mother to immediately change the topic.

"I'll agree to your engagement if you agree to live away from your mother," Dakshita's sudden statement made everyone pause. Rahul set down his spoon and avoided looking at anyone else.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"I mean you have to live with Kanak alone, just like Daksh does. He doesn't live with me," Dakshita explained.

"Mom, it's because you moved away. I never chose to stay away from you," Daksh defended himself, but Dakshita gracefully ignored him and shifted her attention to Rahul.

"If you love her, then you can let your mother stay away from you. It's not like you can't see her. I'll buy you a bungalow or a mansion like this one," she offered.

Rahul's sister grabbed his wrist and looked at him with teary eyes. "Bhaiya, let's go," she whispered. Rahul squeezed her hand and stood up.

"I can't..." he swallowed hard and looked at his mother.

"Mom, let's go," he mumbled.

"I knew you would leave Kanak alone in every situation and choose your mom. I will not give my daughter to you," Dakshita commented, giving a disgusted look to her mother. Kanak ran to Rahul.

"Rahul, let's talk... please," Kanak pleaded. Rahul's hand involuntarily reached for Kanak's cheek.

He gently cupped it and spoke in a sweet manner. "I can't leave my mother or my sister. They mean everything to me. They are above my own happiness," he said, withdrawing his hand.

Kanak stood there for a minute, composing herself.

"Mom, you can't treat my friend like this. He's the one who has been handling everything since his dad's death. Only he knows how his mother managed to pay off our class fees when we were preparing for college exams. You want him to leave his mother, but his mother didn't choose business over him. She has dedicated her whole life to Rahul and Simi, and you want Rahul to abandon her. Do you even know how much he loves his family? He loves his mother endlessly. She has literally sacrificed herself for him. He treats his little sister like his own daughter, and you want Rahul to leave them? How could you?" Ayaan shouted. Hurt flashed in Dakshita's eyes, but she quickly shook her head.

"Ayaan, calm down," Daksh said, looking down at Roshni's tightly held hand.

"It's nothing," Daksh whispered to Roshni.

"Mom, why can't you just let them be together if they love each other?" Ayaan said, this time a little quieter.

"Because she hates me, and she hates everyone who loves me. Why are you getting in the way of my happiness? Let me live happily. I don't give a damn about your life. Your life and my life are different. Don't compare your life to mine. If dad doesn't love you, then it's not my fault. You know what, mom? You deserve this. You don't deserve anyone's love. You deserve to be hated. I didn't know my mom was such a bitch. You can just fuck off," Kanak shouted loudly in her mother's face. Everyone looked at her in shock, but Akansh pulled Dakshita towards himself.

"I deserve hate... I deserve everything," Dakshita whispered.

"No, you don't," Akansh said firmly, then he met his children's eyes.

"Ayaan, Kanak, apologize to your mom," Akansh said. Ayaan lowered his eyes. Yes, he was angry, but he knew that he had pushed Kanak to say all those hurtful words. If he hadn't started yelling at their mother, Kanak wouldn't have found the courage to speak up.

"YOU AND KANAK AREN'T ALLOWED IN THE HOUSE UNTIL YOU APOLOGIZE TO YOUR MOTHER," Akansh shouted. Kanak's face showed a mix of anger and sadness.

"She talked to Rahul..."

"And Rahul is not your spouse. He has chosen his mother, and here you are displaying disrespect towards your own mother. What has she done to deserve this? "

"She deserves every ounce of it." Kanak mumble to herself feeling hurt.

"Ayaan, I did not expect this from you. Instead of persuading her, all of you start yelling at your mother. All of you will apologize to her." Akansh said, attempting to make his way to the room with Dakshita.

"You are once again doing the wrong thing. I am wrong this time. And I know that, how you can scold them for my mistakes. You have always done it in the past. You never seem to understand who is at fault." Dakshita said, breaking her embrace with Akansh and walking towards her room without looking at anyone.

"Kanak... Why did you curse at her?" Akansh asked, clenching his fist.

"She insults..."

"She is your mother, Kanak. She has her reasons. She is not thinking clearly. She believes that what she is doing is right and in your best interest. You have been given all the luxuries of life. At the very least, live your life with independence. It was your mother who fought against everyone so she could provide you all with a better life. If it were not for her, Kanak, you would have already been married to someone. And as a blind person, I would have blindly followed my mother's words. None of you are children who cannot understand your mother. I am... I am just too angry to talk right now. None of you will leave the house. I want to have a serious discussion with you, Kanak... And you, Daksh... You will have the same discussion with Ayaan."

________