15

KANAK'S P.O.V

"Yes, you had a good time with your brother?"

Mom inquired, and I rolled my eyes. Actually She has staff to cover for her so she can take time off. Her hospital looks more like a hotel, but her fees are also high.

"Kanak, say something," Mom said eagerly. I glanced at Dad, who was also waiting for my response.

I extended my hand to Mom, and she frowned upon seeing the bandage with a plant design on it, which was not a typical boring bandage.

I am fed up with Ayaan; he still treats me like a ten-year-old. That's why I kicked him yesterday.

"Oh, I remember your medication is ongoing, it's okay," Mom said, planting a kiss on my bandage.

"Mom, why do you charge such high fees?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Because, baby, I spent a lot of money on my education. I sold all my jewelry to pay for my fees while I was specializing. I even had to borrow money from my mother. At last, my brother paid for my college fees," she explained. I looked at Dad because I distinctly remember Mom being married while studying in school.

"Dad, didn't you pay for her college fees?"

Mom chuckled dryly, shaking her head.

"Dear, his love for his mother was too great. According to them, I should have stayed at home and done all the household chores. They even told me to be grateful because they were feeding me for free," she said, her hand pausing as she looked at me.

I nodded and glanced at Dad again, who was almost glaring at Mom. I probably should not have asked that question.

"What are you cooking, Mom?"

"Spaghetti, you like it, right?" Mom replied. I nodded, almost doing a happy dance in my mind, but a loud crashing sound caught my attention.

I turned around to see Dad's phone on the floor, its screen shattered.

"It fell," he muttered, and for some reason, I felt a twinge of sadness in his tone.

"Don't worry, the phone screen can be fixed. It's not irreparable," Mom reassured him as Dad stood up and left us alone.

Mom also grabbed her phone and held it up to her ear. I knew it hadn't rung, she was just making an excuse to leave. I knew she would go and sit by some water, just like she had done before. She used to sit by the pool or spend her time in the shower.

"I got a call from the hospital, darling. You're free to go anywhere. And if you need to buy something, just send me the code and I'll pay for it," she said, giving me a peck on the head before leaving.

Letting out a sigh, I walked into the kitchen and found the spaghetti that mom had made.

"It's delicious," I remarked.

I quickly packed it into a lunch box, leaving the rest for dad.

"My stop is Ayaan's apartment."

I smiled to myself and hopped onto the scooter that my mom had bought me.

It didn't take me long to reach their apartment building.

After battling with myself internally, I arrived at Daksh's apartment.

Daksh welcomed me, but he didn't seem happy. I don't mean he wasn't happy to see me, he just seemed to be in a bad mood.

I stepped inside and found Roshni bhabhi sniffling.

"What the hell, bhabhi? What happened?" I asked. She shook her head and looked at Daksh. I didn't know what she wanted or why she was crying.

He walked over to a chair and pulled Bhabhi onto his lap. She winced but got comfortable in his arms.